1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing - KS3 - databases - interesting starters and plenaries ?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by trustyourself, Mar 5, 2016.

1. trustyourself

trustyourself New commenter

Hi. Just wondering who would be able to share some ideas on interesting starters and plenaries for MS Access databases topic? thanks

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

With the caveat that I have never been a big fan of Access - particularly at KS3.
    I have used this resource which has some good ideas

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Often the problem with databases used in schools is that they are too small (usually because pupils create them) and as a result it often doesn't make sense to students to use one. for example when doing a mail merge I got students to merge from a database with thousands of entries. Switched off printer first in case one of them printed. They would laugh when I told them their task was to write 5000 letters. The merge can test your network.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

There used to be a Maths coursework task based on a fictional school called Mayfield High - ask your Maths department if they've still got a copy.

I always thought that that would make a good ICT task - there are lots of records and fields (with things like number of siblings, hours of television watched, IQ, etc.), and students had to come up with a hypothesis (anything from "older students are taller" to "rap fans are less intelligent than rock fans") and use the data to try to prove it.

wanet likes this.
  5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Getting back to the question... I find that storing a selection of numbers as text in a database, asking students which comes first, last, etc., and then sorting them, is a good introduction to the importance of typing.

wanet likes this.
  6. mrsvernonict

mrsvernonict New commenter

http://primary.naace.co.uk/activities/whodunnit/private/start.htm

This little online 'game' is a nice intro to databases - it gets across the importance of accurate spelling and using a keyword to search the database. It's by no means perfect but it's a nice little starter or plenary. It's quite old now, I came across it about 10 years ago so it's older than that! But it still proves useful sometimes.

7. jodyarmstrong_newcastle

jodyarmstrong_newcastle New commenter

Get some Top Trump cards. Very good for explaining the elements of a database, searching, sorting and filtering etc.... also getting the students to use a database to create their own cards much more fun than using mail merge for addresses.