1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing/ICT teacher returning

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by marjieforsyth, Dec 8, 2017.

1. marjieforsyth

marjieforsyth New commenter

Hi I have been out of teaching for around 4 years, staying at home, but now wish to return to work I am QTS with 6 years experience of teaching ICT at KS3 and KS4 - but I'm really aware that the teaching of ICT has changed and is now more based in computer programing. I do have some experience in this, but would be a bit nervous about jumping back in! Would anyone be able to recommend a course I might take to up my skills in programing. Or any other suggestions? Thanks.

cairns66 likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Not being negative, but in some respects the difference between ICT and CS is like the difference between Woodwork and Metalwork.

If you have done some programming before, then you should be OK with that, with some brushing up and practice on whatever language you choose to use. When it comes to the programming element, there is a lot of emphasis on teaching 'Computational Thinking' skills, not just the correct use of syntax.

The other areas outside programming can take a bit of getting your head around, if you've not done them before.

There is another thread along these lines in the Computing Forum, with some suggestions as to what courses you could look at:

https://community.tes.com/threads/teacher-wanting-to-retrain-for-computer-science.767790/

You could also try and source a few books or internet repositiories, on the 'technical' aspects other than the programming, such as logic gates for example.

Best of luck with it... :)

cairns66 likes this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

cairns66 likes this.
  4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Did supply beginning of this year.
    A lot of Python in the school
    Also Raspberry pi.

ICT I can do, programming, not, unless BASIC

I was only one in the department, all had either left or off.
    I must say, the sixth formers were good at assistance in this one, and they were able to help some of the pupils.
    However, the students really needed a teacher who could programme.

So my advice would be look at the schools in the area you wish to work,, see what they are offering, then do the appropriate programming

cairns66, agathamorse and elder_cat like this.
  5. teachagain20153

teachagain20153 New commenter

I recommend you volunteer in a school so you can observe and learn about the Computer Science content before teaching it and securing a teaching post. If you can't arrange it yourself there are organisations that can - just google return to teaching courses. Good luck.

cairns66 likes this.
  6. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

Work through the Cambridge GCSE Computer Science MOOC ...

cairns66 and agathamorse like this.
  7. cairns66

cairns66 New commenter

Hi All,

I can see from the aqa candidate record form for the programming project that there are 5 languages to choose from: C#, Java, Pascal/Delphi, Python and vb.net.
    Is the choice of language the students' choice?
    Can the teacher limit the number of languages they need to support students with in class or does the teacher need to be able to support students with all of the languages simultaneously?
    I am familiar with c++ but am hoping python will be enough in terms of computer languages to teach computer science up to gcse level.

8. maggie_piano

maggie_piano New commenter

One school taught java recently

cairns66 likes this.
  9. cairns66

cairns66 New commenter

Thanks maggie_piano.

So the school has a say as well, that makes sense...

Did the school limit it to one language do you know(I.e. Java)? I can imagine several students coming to a class already fluent in various languages and wanting to use them. I'm wondering if that is expected or permissable.

10. cairns66

cairns66 New commenter

Also, do you know which exam board they were using?
    Thanks

11. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

For anyone with sufficient expertise to be able to effectively support a group of mixed ability students in C#, Java, Pascal/Delphi, Python and vb.net, I would have to ask why they choose to teach. There would be rich pickings outside teaching, for anyone with that depth of knowledge across such a broad range of languages. :)

cairns66 and border_walker like this.
  12. cairns66

cairns66 New commenter

I hope so!