1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing Club

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by safe_hands, Jan 19, 2012.

1. safe_hands

safe_hands New commenter

Hi
    We will not be offering Computing as a GCSE/A Level subject next year, but am thinking about setting up a Computing club in school to introduce programming and also gauge interest.
    Any suggestions about what would be best to use - have looked briefly at Greenfoot, Python, Small Basic and free App Builder, but not sure which would be sufficiently accessible yet challenging.
    Many thanks.

2. safe_hands

safe_hands New commenter

Hi
    We will not be offering Computing as a GCSE/A Level subject next year, but am thinking about setting up a Computing club in school to introduce programming and also gauge interest.
    Any suggestions about what would be best to use - have looked briefly at Greenfoot, Python, Small Basic and free App Builder, but not sure which would be sufficiently accessible yet challenging.
    Many thanks.

3. I am starting one next week going to do Kodu first and then move on to game maker and then the more harder stuff. I mainly have years 7s interested in the club so will develop their interest and skills so that they will be capable to tackle a Computing GCSE.

4. I've deliberately chosen to keep programming club to one language, rather than what will become a cycle of languages/styles/programs under the new Programme of Study. Pick a language with depth and go wild =)

5. safe_hands

safe_hands New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I should have specified - it will most likely be for Years 9 & 10. Would definitely like to go for something challenging.

6. Start with something like Kodu (free to install/use and loads of videos on youtube, then work on building on that using coding. They get hooked cos it looks nice and can do lots, plus publish to xbox live

Once they get the principle, then look to move on to something like a combination of languages perhaps HTML, CSS, Javascript using code academy and the many html sites around the net - this is the foundation for up to date web apps, ebooks and games. Internet Explorer schools may struggle so you need chrome/safari/firefox provision to use HTML5/CSS3 ideally

Look to move on to more business languages later on such as C#,VB,VBA,Python which can be used to create more heavyweight desktop apps and data processing

I reckon this way has pros and cons but it gets them exposure to different areas and methods, all of which can achieve the same aim - creating something cool out of nothing.Thoughts anyone?

7. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

I agree with Python in particular. There are lots of Python coding examples in the LINUX FORMAT magazine - great for clubs etc. Lots of projects in programming the Arduino - open source electronic prototyping. Get pupils into alternative OS's such as Ubuntu etc. Endless possibilities.