1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computers in Nurseries

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by SapphireRainbow, Aug 1, 2011.

1. What are people's thoughts regarding pre school children and babies having access to computers for games, internet and TV programmes in Early Years settings?

2. What are people's thoughts regarding pre school children and babies having access to computers for games, internet and TV programmes in Early Years settings?

3. Well in my opinion, as long as the children are supervised 1-1 then children in the Nursery can get a lot from it. We start encouraging children to become familiar with the computer in Nursery (1-1 help and only if they wished to see what the fuss was about - it had to be on their terms) and take them to the ICT suite by the end of the summer term. I think that they got lots from this early experience.

We started with games which encourage mouse control and then eventually played games which required a move of the mouse and a left click. By the end of the Summer term i could give them a webpage with lots of games and they could select one and then use the back button if they wished to change it. This set them up realy well and by Year 1 they were flying with confidence.

Orisinal games / uptoten.com have loads for them to do.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Our Nursery children have an ICT session once a week, of varying lengths in whihc they are taught basic skills and how to access and use programs. In the Nursery they have access to 3 PCs running software. We do not allow any children in the school free access to the Internet at any age.

5. Have you tried talking to and playing with them?
    The parents near my school plant their kids in front of computers and also practice other fine educational activities like forced ear piercing, swearing and fighting in front of them, leaving them in front of the Jeremy Kyle show and of course drug taking and alcohol abuse.
    Good to know that you are taking a lead from the enlightened parts of society.