1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computers in Early Years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Apr 27, 2012.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

All the children in Reception at my school are more than able to access the school computers and they have 4 readily available in the classroom to use throughout the day.
    I'm yet to use the computers with nursery but they have access to iPads and are more than capable of using them with some adult support and supervision obviously.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a couple of PCs with touch screens which the nursery and SEN children get on with really well.

3. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

In my opinion it is the mouse and headphones size that is important for EY pupils access wise, although the larger keyboards can also help. Appropriate software is also key.

4. I'm an early years teacher and ICT co-ordinator and I'd get them using a standard computer and laptop straight away. As someone else mentioned that's what they will be using at home. We have a smaller mouse for anyone who struggles with a standard mouse but I would try them with the standard one first.

5. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

We have Apple Mac desktop computers from Nursery upwards ... super easy to use ... The kids can use them with no problem. I have an issue with headphones though in my class because the kids put them on and put the sound up really high which I am sure is not good for them so I don't have headphones and just tell them to turn the sound down if too loud ... they know how to do this ... Apple Macs make everything easy!!!

6. Hi
    I would choose the cheapest adult option because there is bound to be the occasional accident. Also I wouldn't go for laptops as you have to replace the whole thing not just the keyboard or screen.
    Happy shopping.