1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer virus, I'm sure it is a con!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

So my anti vrus software runs out on the laptop I got for Christmas, and within a month I am 'infected'. Took it to Curry's/PC world where it will cost £70 for it to be restored back to normal, plus £30 for anti-virus software package thing. £100! I am convinced their all in it together to make money, cannot believe it is so expensive to debug and then protect it. Plus you then have to keep updating and buying anti virus software for the life of your computer.
    It is like the gift that keeps on costing! Really annoying, have a little extra this month so can just about pay for it, but it is my birthday this month and would rather spend the money on lunch with my friends and a new dress, which would actually be cheaper than £100 for my stupid laptop!!!!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Does your internet provider supply anti virus and firewall protection. I'm with Virgin and you can download a free package from them which seems to do the job and updates itself regularly,

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nevertheless, if you want to be ultra cautious there is a free anti virus package you can get for the Mac too.

4. There's a horrible virus doing the rounds at the moment, you get a 'message' saying something along the lines of trojans, and infections, when you click on it (thinking it's your own system warning) it locks your computer. This happened to me 2 weeks ago on my school laptop. I Managed to get a techi friend to sort it out.

5. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I have had a quote from an I.T guy to get rid of the virus and install software for £80. Find it all very worrying that people can just hack into your stuff, I try not to do much buying on line as it is but even when my computer is fixed I will be extra cautious!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It isn't just anti-virus software that slows things down. It's worth using a registry cleaner and start up manager package every now and again to tune up your computer. Both can be downloaded free.

7. I have just won IT genius of the year award for ridding my borrowed laptop of System Tool 2011 all by myself!
    Well, after the IT guy at school told me what me to do, anyway.

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

Not too bad
    Me I cheat
    I have Avast, (though recommend both avira and AVG), save critical file info through a triple filter system and when I get (very very very rarely.....ie one in 3 years) a nasty bug I wipe the pute and re-install the OS.
    The last bit speeds up the pute too
    Its a win/win

9. Ah. You would be one of those terribly clever peole who back their work up every time.....

10. To the cloud...all documents on google docs...all photos on Web Albums...settings sync'd to secure partition and email incrementally backed up to Sky Drive every day. Music on external hard drive.

"Triple filtered,tidal? Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with Stella Artois? :¬))

11. I have used AVG for years - the free version - but it became a bit too busy recently and slowed other applications so I installed the latest MS antivirus package Security Essentials which is also free and it has been brilliant.
    MS have at last produced a useful program that costs nothing and works properly.

12. I have used avira antivir for years and I am still very happy with it.
    On son's new computer we have the MS Security Essentials. We normally avoid anything Microsucks, but even my geek of an ex is very impressed and reckons it pips avira at the post at the moment.
    I am sticking to avira though - I have never ever had any really bad things on my computer (I also use spybot). May use MSSE on my new laptop though.
    I would never pay for anti virus software (although my provider does offer one - I tested it for free for 3 months and it wasn't bad - I just wasn't prepared to pay for the pleasure when I can get really good antivirus software for free).

13. tidal

tidal New commenter

Yup
    Probably because I lost 387 ages of a 403 page novel once (and even I miss one in a while)
    LOL, my system is similar to the one you describe but nothing stays in the "cloud"

14. impis

impis New commenter

Check with your technician in school.
    If you are using the pc to do work on - and move said work to and fro via memory stick - then it is very likely that you are entitled to install the same antivirus as used on the school machines. Your LA should authorise it as it also protects their network from accidental infection via memory sticks.