1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer virus help please!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by colpee, Apr 6, 2011.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Definately do not back anything up yet - you are likely to reinfect if a bad file is backed-up (you won't know till it happens). Doubly definately don't copy anything to another machine.
    Lots of virus software is able to reproduce after being 'cleaned' as the exe files can be disguised to read like a normal operating system file, so your symptoms are not unusual. It is likely that AVG can spot it but can't cleanse tyour system properly. If you have windows, try Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool, which you can download. Checking the name of the infection is sound advice, there are often tools available to remove specific infections, but use a reptable site.

2. First thing to do is back up your work. Best way of doing this is by booting a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu is probably the easiest to get) which will allow you to access and copy your work without actually running windows, so your trojan can't do any more damage.
    Then you need to find out what it is. Try other bits of software AdAware, for example, or Spybot S&D. It is an advantage if you know what the trojan is because some malware removers handle some programs better than others, and some are better dealt with by programs designed primarily for that purpose.

3. Several other tools into the mix are Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org), Mcaffee Stinger (http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx) and, although the name initially rang alarm bells in my head, Super Anti Spyware (http://www.superantispyware.com).

1 and 3 have free versions and stinger is a freebie. Of the three, super anti spyware has been the one that's given best results often removing viruses that reinstalled themselves after others claimed to have dealt with it. Autismuk's idea of backing your files up with a bootable Linux disk is good (I use Knoppix) and we've also found that disabling WIndows system restore helps as this is where a lot of viruses reinstall from when you reboot. System restore's over rated anyway.

Finally, get an external hard disk and use a sync tool like allwaysync (http://allwaysync.com/) to keep up to date backups. Makes the situation a lot easier next time.

4. Try on online scanner, go to www.eset.co.uk, go to Download, click on
    <h3>ESET Free Online Antivirus Scanner</h3> If you have to get someone in I would forget PC World etc, they have no real experience, look through a local directory, you will get a much better response from an established small business, ask friends etc for recommendations.

5. mathsman

mathsman New commenter

Many thanks all of you for your comments.
    It's been a mad 48 hours. Basically using a combination of Adaware, AVG and Malwarebytes I detected them - and 'removed' them but once the computer rebooted they all came back so I took it along to a reputable independent technician who was recommened by my ICT department.
    He took the hard drive out and did a scan that revealed thousands of viruses that had messed up <u>all</u> the .exe files! Including AVG and very worringly Rapport (the online banking protection). The viruses identified capture passwords and pin numbers. He called me up and suggested I contact my bank - luckily my accounts weren't compromised (I fortunately didn't go to any website after my computer was infected). I'm now changing all my passwords.
    I've asked the technician to reformat the whole computer back to factory settings. I regulaly back up 'My Documents' onto an external memory drive every month or so so I will use that rather than risk using the one on the computer at present - even though the technician said that these were unaffected.
    It just goes to show that even though I have Adaware and AVG they were unable to clear it up <u>but </u>at least alerted me of a problem.
    Also, the importance of backing up your computer regulaly is so important
    Thanks everyone

6. Bad luck. These things are barstewards.

7. Once you have a clean machine, hunt for plugins for you browser.

WOT (Web of Trust) is a good start. It's a collaborative site reputation tool that allows users to rate sites based on their experience. It categorises based on trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy and child safety. In the event of opening a site that is flagged as dubious it gtives you the chance to back out before any damage can be done. Works particularly well on fake banking and vendor sites.

There a loads of plugins that check security certificates, block scripts from running etc. If you cab build a collection of tools rather than just having anti virus, it minimises the chances of getting caught out.