1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer upgrade

Discussion in 'Music' started by cmf, Jan 19, 2012.

1. cmf

cmf

Its the old question, Mac or PC with a twist. I have (and dont know how) got the go ahead for a Class, yes CLASS of computers. I have used PC but now I am thinking of Mac's. I have always had problems with Sibelius and the latency issue when using USB keyboards, midi guitars and drum kits plus multi track recording using cubase and audicty.
    I need a computer which will play the sound from the keyboard when I play it, not 1/2 a second later. I also need a laptop which can multi track, one which will play back a track so you can add tracks live and record 12+ tracks at the same time and be able to eq settings later.
    These will be on our school network,(RM) CC4.
    My question is, in this day of development and impending doom of a computer being outdated before it arrives, what do you use for Sibelius 6 onwards, multitrack recording and day to day use on a RM network. Will a mini mac, i5 4GB ram 500GB HD do the job for a class machine as I am short on bench room as well as compete in 2-3 yrs time. apparently this is 70% quicker and far more stable than the latest HP touch smart 520-1030 which has been looked at!
    Thank you so much in advance, I would like to use your comments in the meeting if possible, let me know.

2. cmf

cmf

Its the old question, Mac or PC with a twist. I have (and dont know how) got the go ahead for a Class, yes CLASS of computers. I have used PC but now I am thinking of Mac's. I have always had problems with Sibelius and the latency issue when using USB keyboards, midi guitars and drum kits plus multi track recording using cubase and audicty.
    I need a computer which will play the sound from the keyboard when I play it, not 1/2 a second later. I also need a laptop which can multi track, one which will play back a track so you can add tracks live and record 12+ tracks at the same time and be able to eq settings later.
    These will be on our school network,(RM) CC4.
    My question is, in this day of development and impending doom of a computer being outdated before it arrives, what do you use for Sibelius 6 onwards, multitrack recording and day to day use on a RM network. Will a mini mac, i5 4GB ram 500GB HD do the job for a class machine as I am short on bench room as well as compete in 2-3 yrs time. apparently this is 70% quicker and far more stable than the latest HP touch smart 520-1030 which has been looked at!
    Thank you so much in advance, I would like to use your comments in the meeting if possible, let me know.

3. Hi Cmf
    Our school moved to RM CC4 as part of BSF in Sept and I was lucky enough to also get a full class of computers.
    I've gone for mac and now have 32 macbooks with logic, sib 7 and garageband on them. I also got 32 m-audio keystudio49i's which double as midi keyboard and a DI for recording. In addition to this we got a G5 in the studio with new desk... It's ICT heaven compared to the 11 duff PC's that took 15 minutes to log in and had more problems than the residents of the Betty Ford clinic!
    I went for this as we too are short on space and it means pupils can work wirelessly. However, RM wouldnt connect it with the whole school network as they run PC everywehere else in school. So we are stand alone with internet access with no tech support from RM.(that was the trade off in going mac!)
    So far, touch wood, we have had very few problems. The kids are loving it, they are coping well changing from cubase to the new programmes... if u want to know more I can give u a few bits of info before your meeting, there are issues to consider but I'm happy to share my experience with you.
    Good luck !

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Congratulations of using macs.
    But even more congratulations to being free on school network!
    I have yet to see a music dept that uses the network without some problems.
    .........................I guess there will be now loads of examples.....................

5. cmf

cmf

Oh fantastic, I might have loads of questions, you say their are issues, can you say what?
    Will the macbooks run Sib 7 with no latency on the usb music keyboard?
    Where re you based and can I come and have a look?
    Email: Cris.Freeman2@queen-eleanor.lincs.sch.uk
    Would be fantasic to talk and visit soon.