1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

computer science GCSE help

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shaz2009, Apr 2, 2012.

1. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Need some advice on computer science courses for students
    next year; I have decided for GCSE ICT the best exam board for our school will
    be EDEXCEL.

<font size="3" face="Calibri">However I have not made my mind up on the examining board
    for computer science, I have looked at all three, EDEXCEL have not been approved
    by OFQUAL yet, OCR and AQA have assignments on the website but I am worried
    about the online help resources available to help teachers.</font>

Can anyone give me some idea of the examining board they
    will go for this coming September for computer science.

2. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Need some advice on computer science courses for students
    next year; I have decided for GCSE ICT the best exam board for our school will
    be EDEXCEL.

<font size="3" face="Calibri">However I have not made my mind up on the examining board
    for computer science, I have looked at all three, EDEXCEL have not been approved
    by OFQUAL yet, OCR and AQA have assignments on the website but I am worried
    about the online help resources available to help teachers.</font>

Can anyone give me some idea of the examining board they
    will go for this coming September for computer science.

3. Hi am in the same position, offer gcse ict with the edexcel exam board looking at computer science as well. Was looking at edexcel as well but not seen a specification yet. I do like the look of aqa did the online inset last week.

4. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

We have taught the OCR GCSE Computing this year and the kids absolutely love it. First set of results this August ...

5. What software did you use for the controlled assessment?

6. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

That is next year, they have done unit 1 this year. We are using SmallBASIC for the programming, which not ideal, is proving to work well.

7. The mark scheme for AQA looked too much like you get almost all the marks for writing about programming, rather than doing programming .There is an element of that with OCR too, but not as heavy. We're finishing with OCR right now too. We've done the programming (A453) in Python and we did the Little Man Computer tasks for A452 - although I'm tempted to go with the new Encryption one which is run using a spreadsheet for next year (they keep bringing out new tasks, but haven't retired any old ones as yet, so you get a fair amount of choice).

With OCR having been around the longest, there's also a little more community support and there's even a textbook on Lulu which I understand is very good (and only £5.50 a throw).

8. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Thanks guys,
    <font size="2">I
    think alot of you are heading down the OCR root, will consider OCR, as it&rsquo;s the
    first time of going ahead with the course next year, I am afraid of the
    programming side, however the OCR help is strong by the sound of few of you
    here so will give it ago and see what happens. </font>

<font size="2">In terms of
    software will start using Python and see how it handles</font>

Thank you J

9. johnio

johnio New commenter

Just gone through the OCR and AQA specs. Much prefer the AQA - greater breadth and depth of computing; this is what I expected as the AQA offers a rigorous and demanding A level in computing. IMO the OCR computing is a softer option and thus many schools will opt for it!

Johnio

10. OCR have won. They were the first to get a Computing GCSE and have managed to get their new CNATs onto the DfE list. People will choose these courses because of this.

11. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Don't forget the iGCSE Computer Studies course(s)., which have been running for a number of years. These have been also available to state schools for a couple of years now.

12. johnio

johnio New commenter

I select a course on the quality of the educational experience it offers my students!
    I cannot believe that you use such terms as "OCR have won"; maybe you work for OCR or are one of the unemployed OCR A level ICT examiners!
    Johnio

13. Strange reaction. Many teachers who are looking for a Computing course are going down the "tried and tested" OCR route because it's established and there are resources available already. Those moving on from OCR Nationals might have looked at the BTECs but the omission of the I&CT from the DfE list means that they are more likely to progress onto the CNATs. How many will then change after starting these OCR courses? Not many, thus my belief that OCR have won.

14. OCR haven't won. They just had the foresight to set up a GCSE Computing course a couple of years before the other exam boards. That means they have a bit more experience, there are more resources written specifically for this course than the others, they have got an active forum for the course, which is helpful and their support meetings are a little more focussed on teachers' problems. It is not a perfect course but then it still is realtively new. We teach it now after stopping the GCSE ICT course. It is a MASSIVE improvement on the ICT course. Pupils like it a lot too. The main criticism I have is that weaker students struggle to get very far without a lot of teacher help. A good aspect of it is that marking is not a tick-box affair. You mark areas of controlled assessments in bands and take an overall view of work - a lot easier and quicker to mark. I still think controlled assessments are counter-productive but if you have to have it, this way is not as bad as other ways.

15. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

Spikedhair

How can you help during a Controlled Assessment? And further are these courses worthwhile putting weaker kids on? You don't put weak Maths kids on Economics courses and I'm selecting my September intake on Maths ability. We are also offering two other IT courses because CS isn't suitable for the majority.