1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer Science and ICT - demand for teachers in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Ise_67, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ise_67

Ise_67 New commenter

Hello All
    I'm currently teaching Computer Science and ICT at KS 3 and 4 (senior) level in England but my partner and I are considering a relocation to Scotland, specifically the Glasgow area. In England, we recently had a well funded drive to recruit and train Computer Science teachers and I wondered what the situation was like in Scotland for my subject? I've read conflicting reports that the subject is well respected and supported, versus the number of computing teachers and offer of computing as a subject, is on the decline. Can anyone clarify?
    In England, we've seen a rise in pupils taking the ECDL qualification following the scrapping of GCSE ICT. Is there anything equivalent to that in Scotland? I know that I need to register with the GTC first so this is very much preliminary enquiries.
    Thanks in advance!

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

It took months for our local secondary to find a replacement Computer Science teacher. They had to ask as far afield as Australia and New Zealand before they found someone who knew someone who might be willing to relocate. We are a bit remote though so that didn't make it any easier to find someone who wouldn't mind living on an island. I've no idea what the job situation in Glasgow is like.

Depending on where you live in Glasgow, Edinburgh is within commuting distance so you could consider looking for jobs there as well. https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk would be the website to look on.

There's a computing job here:https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/co...11367-significant-recruitment-incentive-51217

3. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Edinburgh is commutable but it's a substantial commute- traffic
    Is very busy if driving. There are lots of councils which are closer though: some of South Lanarkshire, North Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire as well as Glasgow City.

Good computing teachers are hard to come by! You may need to do some supply while you familiarise yourself with the curricular but if say your prospects are good.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I qualified in England, just going through the GTCS thing now. My advice is get that ball rolling ASAP. Some schools will not consider your application at all until you have GTCS registration.

There is a severe shortage of computing teachers. Some schools which I have spoken to are now dropping computing completely as a subject simply because they cannot find anyone to teach it.
    Some schools are offering free accommodation , generous relocation, cash incentives to entice staff, especially up north.

5. Ise_67

Ise_67 New commenter

Thanks all for your great comments and advice. It's very useful indeed. I shall get into GTCS now thanks and I agree that supply would be a great way of becoming familiar with the curriculum.