1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer Question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Dec 24, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I have bought my daughter a new laptop for Xmas as the old one was damaged and is now very unreliable. Do I have to buy a new Microsoft office package or will she be able to transfer the one which is on her old laptop?

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You should be able to just install it on new laptop. I have done this a number of times without any difficulty.
    If you have any difficulties verifying it, there will be a phone number to call to explain the situation.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Presume you are installing from an Office CD?
    There might be an issue if it is on a disc with several programs that came with your old laptop, as this will only be licenced to use on original machine. Even then, it will probably work.
    You will need the product key (string of numbers and letters) that came with the original disc.

4. You just need the product key.

5. oliverferret

Thanks for the replies.<p/>
    I am not sure if I can still find the original disc (have had to move a couple of times over the last year and seem to have lost some stuff each move). Will I be able to get the product key anywhere else?

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The key is usually printed on the sleeve of the CD. It works like a password.

7. And if it is out of date you can usually get a new one - I have done this a couple of times and they tend to sound severe but hand it over anyway!
    Try this link
    Good luck.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Were you hoping to transfer the software without a disc?
    I don't think you can do that, as it's not just like a file that you can copy across to another machine.
    The installation comes from the disc and not all of it is put onto the computer.
    If you end up needing to buy it again, have a look at software4students

9. oliverferret

Thanks again Giraffe. I don't think I have the disc still. I'll look at the site you suggest.

10. If you cant find it and dont want to buy it again, openoffice is free downloadable software that is very similar and designed to be compatible with MS Office documents.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The other possibility is that the MS Office setup/installation software is stored on the recovery drive (ie NOT the C Drive) of the old laptop. A bit of rooting around in the folders might locate it, then a bit of copying to a portable Hard Drive would be the next step. You'd still need the Product Key though.

Doesn't the new laptop have a trial version of MS Office installed already? If so, contact Microsoft for the Product Key for your original software and use it with the new laptop's software, assuming they're the same version.

I also concur with the earlier poster about Open Office - if you go down that route the only legitimate site to get it from is openoffice.org and it should be free. There are quite a few bogus sites out there that try to charge you for it.