1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer programs for nursery

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by WendiH, Nov 1, 2015.

1. WendiH

WendiH New commenter

Hi,
    I am a dinosaur looking for help to evolve into an effective teacher of early computing! In my nursery, we have one desk top PC for the children to use. It was recently up dated and all the programs I was used to using have gone - no longer compatible. (All except infant tool kit, so the children have been doing a lot of mark making!!) I have been given the go ahead to buy some new software, but don't know where to begin. Ideally I would like something to introduce mouse control, as most are familiar with a touch pad. Something that moves items on screen perhaps?
    Any guidance would be welcome!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Ditch that idea. Teach literacy & numeracy. If after teaching literacy & numeracy you find that there is spare time then teach literacy & numeracy.

colpee likes this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @WendiH

This is a general help forum - for example if you are having problems using the site.

Try posting in the Computing and ICT subject forum where you might get some responses to your query. :)

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I am very retired now but had great success running a variety of Ace Monkey (Birchfield), Sherston (pricey but classy), My World and other programs. The children used them unsupervised on a couple of machines in nursery but also had weekly lessons in the computer suite. I have a list linked to a progression sheet in my ICT Coordinator's toolkit if you are interested?

5. TheaPine

TheaPine New commenter

I am also retired (April 2015) but used to cover PPA time teaching all Primary ages. I agree with the above - and would add Moles which came from Resource Education (which I see has also retired!) it was designed with 6 levels requiring skills from just hovering the mouse over the mole popping up from the hole - right up to holding the mouse button down while moving the mouse. I also used the fabulous website Poisson Rouge, some of which is still free (but I see it is only £30 per year and I would think well worth it) and 2Simple 2 paint a picture and other programs from them.

6. WendiH

WendiH New commenter

Thank you, I did say I was a dinosaur!!!

marlin likes this.
  7. WendiH

WendiH New commenter

OOOH! yes please, if it is not too late to ask - been a bit distracted with some interesting characters in my class who were a bit more immediate than IT research!! Thanks

8. WendiH

WendiH New commenter

Thank you for this, has given me a new direction to explore. Happy New Year and enjoy the retirement!

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You're welcome, but I see your post was moved to Computing and ICT by the TES team for you :) Glad you've had some helpful responses! :)

10. WendiH

WendiH New commenter

thanks, I did wonder when I came to repost it - I feel much relieved as I thought I was worse than I imagined!!!

marlin likes this.
  11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

@WendiH, I sent you a private message but haven't heard from you, I will need an email address to send you the stuff you wanted - you might look on the TES resources as some of my documents ended up on there.

12. badpower

badpower Occasional commenter