1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer programmes to teach maths and games to teach students complex problems

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Jan 11, 2012.

1. www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/10/technological-innovations-classroom-learning
    Why does this keep coming up? Surely ICT in mathematics should be about students gaining competency in using programmes such as Autograph, GeoGebra, Logo and Excel etc, not playing flashy games which mimic games consoles. I feel so disappointed that this is what Marcus Du Sautoy is championing.
    And on the first point, surely we should be looking at teachers harnessing the powers of multimedia as one teaching tool amongst many, rather than being replaced by it.
    It feels heart-breaking.

2. goodness knows there's a case for upgraded ict teaching in schools - primary ict still seems to be based on the idea that a computer is a strange and unusual object that children need to be familiarised with [​IMG]
    but this surely ain't it

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Oh but it is - I know of a few parents who've been told that their pre-schooler struggles to use a mouse. That would be because they usually use a laptop at home - or by now, an iPad. [​IMG]

4. but nevertheless, they don't need, for example, to be 'introduced' to word by messing around with fonts and colours whilst writing their names(and i work in a junior school), rather than being taken on a quick romp through the technicalities of word processing followed by how to use wp to cut and paste the elements of a report, say
    no wonder kids never get into any serious ict at secondary school

5. I think the questions of 'leveraging ICT to aid classroom learning' and 'developing students' ICT skills related to the subject' are two which should be considered separately rather than regarded as mutually exclusive. I don't think the fact Marcus du Sautoy champions the first for example means he precludes the second.
    But I do definitely agree that too much attention is devoted to the former, and pretty much none to the latter.