1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gremlin01, Jan 28, 2011.

1. A friend has lent me a laptop where when you log on there is the choice of administator or the link for the account he set up for me.
    I noticed today though that in my documents there was a new file that can only be deleted by admin. Does this mean that he has access to my documents?!
    Thanks

2. A friend has lent me a laptop where when you log on there is the choice of administator or the link for the account he set up for me.
    I noticed today though that in my documents there was a new file that can only be deleted by admin. Does this mean that he has access to my documents?!
    Thanks

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I think so yes. unless you want to put a password onto your individual files to stop them!

4. Thanks...he didn't tell me that part so have been saving all kinds of documents to the laptop. Not happy to realise this.
    Next technical question..how do I put passwords on files? Will he not be able to access them? Thanks!

5. Try..

start....all programs...accesories

cmd (right click and select "run as administrator"

type in...net user adminstrator / active:yes

this should give you a screen that allows you to sign in as "administrator"

6. type in
    net user administrator /active:yes

7. Cheers Bauble your a star!
    Now...does this mean my stuff is now private?! (sorry for all the questions, I hate technology!)

8. What I dont get, is why you are saving documents to a friends laptop that you are not happy about your friend seeing?
    Any documents I would be saving to anyone elses laptop, would be fine for my friend to see. Whats the problem?
    Personally I think he's got every right to see documents saved to his computer. He'll have access to your user area when he gets it back anyway because im assuming he set the account and password up for you.
    In word etc you can go to options, then security, and it has an option to set a password. It doesnt stop anyone else from deleting it though.

9. I was saving documents about banking, and I don't really want my friend to neccessarily see the budget I have created and financial information about myself. I wanted to borrow a friends laptop, rather than use my school one, as can't afford a new one right now. Though now it seems a bit silly reading that back and perhaps should resort to good old pen and paper!

10. No . but it means that when you log in again you will have the choice to log in as an administrator and thus delete the files so that your friend can't see them.

11. Use a USB memory stick? Google docs?

12. Yeah true, could use usb. What is Google docs?
    Err Bauble...does it automatically go back to me being non admin?!?
    Thanks

13. Thank you Bauble [​IMG]

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Strictly speaking the laptop's owner could recover the deleted files with recovery software, but they'd have to have a pretty bizarre agenda to attempt that.

Save to an external storage medium in future, as suggested by others above.

15. impis

impis New commenter

You can password individual files on Microsoft office, if that would be easier.
    When saving a file, go to file > save as - and then on the grey save box that appears:
    For office 2007 - Next to the 'save' button on the bottom is a 'tools' button with a dropdown arrow. go to General options, then enter a 'password to open'. You'll be prompted to enter the password again once you've clicked ok.
    One previous versions of office, once you get the save as dialoge box open, I think the 'tools' dropdown is located top right of the box. On the dropdown choose the security option, and enter the password. Again, you'll have to enter it twice. You can also have a password to modify the file, if you wish - to ensure no one but you can edit it.

16. impis

impis New commenter

17. Agree with Leather patches...it is a bit extreme . Now I have re-read the op with a more sober outlook :¬)) ...is the admin account you see when you log in password protected? If not ,just log in with that.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I second that......Bauble is a legend! [​IMG]