1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer help - please please help - very urgent!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RJR_38, Oct 17, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

If anyone can help I will be so grateful.... I have ofsted tomorrow and have gone to tweak some of my lesson plans tonight.... and my memory stick won't load - at all!
    I am on XP and the little bubble pops up with a yellow exclamation mark that says the USB device is not recognised. It is the same on my other PC so I know its the stick.... and stupidly stupidly stupidly all my individual plans are only on my stick.
    Anyone got any ideas to save me being up til late tonight retyping??

2. No help or ideas at all, but much sympathy! Is it on the school system?. can you get back into school? have you emailed any to anyone, they will be in yur email sent box? Good luck, just the sort of stress yuo don't need.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Sadly not - I think its the school system that mucked it up as it was fine this morning, and then suddenly stopped working this eveing. Figuring it was the computer playing up (as usual) I decided to leave it until I got home... arrgh!! I always back up normally :(

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

from a web site
    First, hit Windows+E to open an Explorer window.

Select “My Computer.”

Right click and choose “Manage” from the contextual menu. This will open a window called “Computer Management.”

Select “Disk Management”, which is under “Storage”

On
    the bottom right side of the window, you’ll see a list of all of the
    storage devices currently attached to the computer. If your flash drive
    is listed there, that’s great—you can fix the problem. If not, this
    solution won’t work.

Right click on the drive listed in that window. This will bring up a contextual menu. Choose “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”

This will bring up yet another window, which will show your “missing” drive. Choose “Change” at the bottom.

Another
    window will pop up. This one will have a drop down menu on the right
    hand side. Choose a letter “higher” than the one currently assigned to
    the drive. If it’s “E”, for example, choose a letter between “F” and
    “Z.” Its probably best to pick one toward the end of the alphabet.

Once
    you’ve selected a drive letter, a warning message will come up saying
    that “Changing The Drive Letter of a Volume Might Cause Programs No
    Longer To run.”

That’s OK. It’s likely that all you’ve got on the drive is data. Click on Yes.

That will return you to the Computer Management Window.

Your drive now should function properly.

does this help/

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks Olds, I found that too but sadly the flash drive isn't listed when I do that so its no good
    :( I can't believe I was so silly not to back up grrr

6. oldsomeman

Yes the rule is to save it somewhere else .i lost one stick and a terms saved plans vanished.and yes i hadnt backed it up.
    Have you done a google for the problem
    You could try a friends computer and see if its the drivers going faulty in your machine
    If you have time you can use specilist firm to extract the file,but you havent got the time i realise.
    if you have a computer fixing programme you might be able to get it to check your machine and the pen to make sure it cant be fixed.........min is called pc chckup..buthere are others
    More likely the problem is a curruption in the drive or pen,,,,,,,but not sur ehopw to do that one

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I think this is the problem - I have done a driver update etc as recommended by the trouble shooter but nothing. I have just started to retype my plans now :(

8. oldsomeman

dam it dont allow me to post on here....microsoft support have a solution to it but im not sure you would want to do it.hopefully it will work in school tomorrow.
    from what i can see its a curruprtion of one of the keysin the regisrty

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When you remove the USB stick from the computer do you do it properly or just yank it out?

Properly involves clicking the 'safely remove hardware' icon at the bottom right of your screen and selecting the drive you want to shut down, ie your USB stick.

Just yanking it out can corrupt the USB stick, not the first time, or even the hundredth time, but eventually.

In your position I'd be tempted to try the online software at www.recovermyfiles.com and see if it finds anything on your stick. If it does, pay for the software and get the files back. If not, I'm not sure you have any other options. short of trying it on as many different computers as you can in the hope that one will work.

10. indecisive1

indecisive1 New commenter

sorry wish i could help! feel your pain! hope someone on here can help soon!

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I usually eject it properly... but I would be lying if I said I did it very time - guess I messed up this time :S I am retyping my stuff for tw, I will see if I can use the software and if not I will beg our technician tw to see what he can do :S