1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computer Generated Resources (Feedback needed)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SparkMaths, Sep 10, 2018.

1. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Hello everyone, I've spent a good chunk of the summer learning HTML code and designing a website with computer generated questions. I'm really excited to see what other teachers think about it!

If you have used mymaths, mathswatch or mrcartermaths then this sort of thing should be familiar. I'm planning on having more types of activities than those websites with enough variety to fill a full lesson.

Hopefully what I've produced so far on fractions is of good enough quality to be usable in the classroom already so please take a look:
    http://sparkmaths.com/index_number.html
    *Clicking on a question reveals the answer and the questions can be refreshed by clicking on the activity name.
    *Click twice on the game questions to reveal if a prize has been won.
    *Internet Explorer crashes on the multiple choice questions, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers should all work though.

What I'm really looking for is some feedback before I commit massive amounts of time to this, the more I code the more I'll have to edit if something needs improving. I know that the game activity needs the colours improving and the some of the multiple choice questions need better choices.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Multiple choice - does it ever finish? Also, I got the same question three times right at the start, so wondered if it was actually working - could immediate repetition be filtered out?
    Matching pairs and "game" appeared to give me the answer when I clicked on something, so that was fairly pointless.

SparkMaths likes this.
  3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Thanks that's really useful, I've clearly done a terrible job explaining what the point of these activities are! They are meant to be put on your interactive whiteboard, so that the teacher has control over clicking the question to reveal the answer during or at the end of the task.

So for example with the match cards, I'd ask the students to do the questions and work out which answer is correct. If their answer isn't in the list they know they have made a mistake, so it's a little hint for them. I could do examples or ask students during the task for answers and then click the question to show them if it's correct or not.

With the game, it's meant to be used like a quiz show. I'd ask students to put their hands up when they have an answer and write it up on the non interactive whiteboard, then they can click on the question to reveal if they are correct, then click it again to reveal if they got a prize (achievement/house points) or not (only 1/3rd have prizes).

Multiple choice I would have students use mini whiteboards or hold up coloured cards to show their answers, then I would judge myself on if they need more questions or move onto a higher difficulty or finish. You are right about repetition, that's something for me to work on stopping for most of the tasks.

The worksheet, I can either type in answers manually or click the question to bring up the correct answer or click bronze/silver/gold to bring up all the answers. I want to work on it being nice when printed too.

I do need a solution to explain this stuff but I also don't want loads of text aimed at the teacher on the whiteboard when the students should be the priority - maybe I need some sort of help button in the corner to explain how to use each activity.

It's meant to be dual use so students can also do the activities on their phones/tablets. The match cards and games are turned off for smaller devices as they won't fit. I didn't consider that students would find he multiple choice confusing if it never ended, perhaps I could add a score for students using it.

I've got a number of ideas from your feedback. I was going to add + - x / with mixed numbers today but I'm going to work on add clear instructions for the teacher instead. Thanks again :)

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

One of the biggest problems I have in tutoring maths is trying to persuade pupils to show all their working in a fairly logical way. I am not sure if it is possible to do this on website such as this, but just having right or wrong answers like mymaths does not help.

5. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Yeah teacher/tutor supervision would be needed.

I'm planning on having an activity type where students get, for example, a 5 mark GCSE question then they are given 5 boxes to fill in like a writing frame. Then the teacher can click each box to reveal a clue, then click again for the step of working needed for a mark,

That's significantly more work to programme though, so I want to focus on the easier mymaths type stuff until I've got a good library of topics. Then I'm going to go back and do more detailed things like that.

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Good luck, I think it might be difficult as often in a 5 mark question the steps could be done in different orders. For example if you were finding the equation of the perpendicular bisector of a line segment, you could start by finding the gradient or by finding the mid-point.

7. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Some sort of window that appears with a set of Instructions on it, whenever a section is picked? For example maybe a 'callout', which appears from the bottom with instructions on it. The user could then read the info, and click the 'X' to close the callout window.

https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_callout.asp

There's a pretty big difference between 'should' work and 'will' work. You could give a listing of the browsers (and version numbers) that you have tested and found to work.

Maybe look into using Bootstrap rather than HTML for 'other devices' ? Bootstrap's intended for mobile-first sites rather than traditional PC/Laptop audience.

One thing I noticed when looking over the site (using Firefox on a Ubuntu 16.04 Netbook):

When I click on 'Number' as the type of activity I want, this collection of buttons appears briefly, but disappears before I have a chance to click on any of them:

Screenshot from 2018-09-11 20-28-11.png
    Then this window appears, inviting me to 'choose an activity from the options above'. But as you can see, there are no options displayed:

Screenshot from 2018-09-11 20-28-55.png
    The options only become visible after I click on the icon at the top right of the page. I realise that the 'hamburger icon' is a menu icon, but without any sort of label, not everyone may realise it's a menu:

Screenshot from 2018-09-11 20-29-23.png

8. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Thanks for the feedback! Especially bothering to add pictures :D

It works in the version of Chrome, Edge and Firefox my PC has so yeah you are right, how are you supposed to know which versions that is? I'll look at the versions I have to let people know what they need to run the website.

I like the callout button, I didn't know that existed. I've programmed a different solution I should have online tomorrow but I'll look into callouts as it may be better than what I have.

I am using Bootstrap, I don't have this much graphic design skill as basic as it is! I haven't done too much work on the mobile side yet. I just turned off a few things that won't fit onto a mobile screen.

Of your three pictures, the first is an intermediate state before the javascript loads, you shouldn't be able to see that. There are 8 options but 4 are disabled as I haven't completed them yet and 2 more (match cards and game) are disabled on mobile since they need screen space.

On the second picture, the "hamburger" being the menu is a bootstrap feature and yes it isn't clear. I'll add an explaination somewhere.

Seriously this has been so useful, I'll have a much clearer version of this website hopefully tomorrow !

9. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

OK I think I've fixed the majority of the feedback and added the rest of the Fractions topics!

What I'm interested in now is how useful this is for people in the classroom, so I know if it's going to be a personal project or something to share. I'm thinking that it's better than what similar websites have since there's multiple activity types?