1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

compulsory MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mpc, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mpc

mpc

They're all on MFL Sunderland.

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

??

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

4. Random175

Random175 New commenter

And the problem with this is?....

5. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

The problem with this is those with bad memories or those who have not got any trained memorisation techniques form the majority of the population.

6. Random175

Random175 New commenter

What is wrong with working hard and having a good grasp of grammar? (If they work hard they will be able to remember vocabulary)

7. minka1

(If they work hard they will be able to remember vocabulary)
    Is that what they call a tautolgy?
    Surely anyway the modern business speak is to work smarter not work harder. Working hard is so uncool.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

In 1990 I taught y11 set 12/12 for MFL - since that day I have been opposed to compulsory MFL at GCSE!

9. minka1

To quote from one of your worksheets
    In independent and grammar schools almost 100% of
    students study at least one language at GCSE..... and they almost always go on
    to University

10. gujan

gujan New commenter

However, not all pupils attend grammar nor independent schools ...

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I still have far from fond memories of 80 minute lessons on Thursday afternoons with the bottom French group in the late 1990s. We were in a mobile classroom - out of sight, out of mind - and they used to tell all about their nocturnal activities. Pity none of it was in French.
    They got grades though, via the SEG modular syllabus, and it took some doing. But that was when GCSE was meant to cater for a wider range of ability and aptitude than what it has become in its most recent form.
    By the way, the HT's idea to make 80 minute lessons more bearable was that teachers should split the lessons in to 3 or 4 mini-lessons. Yeah, right.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

??????
    not me I think?