1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compulsory courses required by agencies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jolly_Roger1, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Over the last week or so, I have had a few emails from some of the agencies with which I am registered, claiming that I have to complete online courses in 'safeguarding, etc., as a legal requirement. The failure to do so meaning deregistration. When I followed the link given to these online course, I found that they were not cheap! Is this just another 'try on'?

2. PerMFL

PerMFL New commenter

I did one on safeguarding with C****a, it was compulsory but free. There was one agency I went to register with a long time ago that required for me to take one of their courses before being put forward for day to day supply, I stood up and left the office. The course was worth £250 and the agency was called E*****ten Supply pool.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

If you have a certificate of attendance at a Child Protection Inset course within the last 4 years you should be OK. Educare do an online version for about £35 - one agency interviewing me insisted on this when I couldn't find my certificate. They didn't take me on for lack of recent references. I think schools require safeguarding training.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

For anyone who needs a safeguarding course and can't do one provided from an agency they are registered with, I can recommend Pivotal Education a training provider. If you google Pivotal Education you will find their details ;the cost is about £60.00 which I think is reasonable if that means you can keep working. The offer two levels and also do behaviour management training which is excellent.

5. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I had to do the safeguarding course with all 3 agencies I registered with and they were all free.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

One of the agencies in question is C****a and the online course they are touting is £65! Thanks for telling me this. I've emailed them asking why they are now charging!

Some while ago, to supplement the meagre supply work, I looked into care working. The two agencies I made doing courses in lifting, CPR, etc., prerequisite of registering. It would have cost about £200 just t get on their books. Seemed to much like a rip-off to me!

7. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

They were free online questionnaires last year when I did them for a couple of agencies

8. PerMFL

PerMFL New commenter

The free course I took with the agency in question was called "safeguarding children (V2)" the certificate is dated 27/06/2015. I know of other people that have taken a compulsory safeguarding course with other agencies and they didn't have to pay.

9. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I've never been asked to do such a course. This is the first I have heard of it. Is this legislation or just another way agencies have found to make money?

Rachelvallance likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

WW

Hi. I notice you just recently joined TES. Have you been working as a supply teacher for very long? Are you primary or secondary? Nice to meet you anyway.

There is a lot of legislation about safe guarding issues in schools which is part of the reason everyone who works in a school must have a current DSB check, but safe guarding goes beyond this and schools usually provide their staff with safe guarding training every three years. This training would include signs to look out for if a teacher suspects any child may be in danger and who to contact and procedures to follow. The issues can be complex, so I won't discuss those here. Many schools at their receptions have a card, notice or other information displayed saying who the person is that is in charge of any safe guarding issues in their school.

So best practice is for everyone to be trained in safe guarding and that includes supply teachers, so agencies have started to provide courses for their supply teachers; these coursed can be completely free or some agencies may charge a small amount ( about £30) towards the cost of the trainer the agencies have to hire and the venue to hold the training. I don't know for sure, but I doubt very much the agencies would seek to make a profit out of this type of training, but it may be that some do. I took a safe guarding course through both of the agencies I work with: one was online and the other I attended a half day course. One was £10 and the other £30.00.

For teachers working on supply but working directly and not using an agency, if anyone needs a training course I recommend Pivotal Training.

So WW to answer your question, no it is not just not another way to make money ( at least I don't think it is) but a way to keep sending teachers whose knowledge and skills are up to date and are aware of the current best practice in schools.

To me a small amount of £30 is reasonable to enable me to keep working.

CPD is important for supply teachers as it is for other teachers but for supply teachers it is more problematic since we have to find and fund it ourselves but that is part of being a supply teacher; most people would accept that since once you decide to become a supply teacher as well as the benefits that come with complete flexibility, you have to accept the other things that come with it such as providing your own training.

If you carry out a google search on safe guarding in schools you will come up with many links and I am sure you will find something that explains the legislation behind the ideas.

Pepper5

11. WaylonWu

Hi Pepper5, thanks for that info. I have been supplying for several years, have obviously heard of safeguarding issues but meant that I have never been obliged by an agency to take part in one. Also have never had it raised by any of the schools I have worked in. I just find it odd that some people are being obliged to do so by agencies. I will google as you suggest but have an overall idea of the thinking behind the legislation. Anyway, I might come across something I'm not aware of.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

WW

Hi again. It may be that agencies are so competitive now that if they have teachers who have gone on safe guarding courses, the agencies can market the teachers on their books as having been trained in safe guarding issues; and the way they can evidence that is if the teachers have a certificate from a training provider. The agencies will then be able to provide teachers who have been trained in safe guarding issues if that is what the school wants. Although you may not have been asked yet to take a safe guarding course, it may very well be coming your way.

The next big training issue of course is the changes to the national curriculum both in primary and secondary. If you notice on this site, there are a lot of courses offered on that topic.

Keeping up to date and being seen to be aware of current educational issues is hard for supply teachers, but with the internet and forums like these, it is possible to stay fairly up to date since there are thousands of web sites to provide information for teachers and even some free online courses. The very best agencies will provide some free CPD for the teachers which is a bonus. As neli posted above, she received all your safe guarding courses free. I paid £30 but I think it was worth it since I know it cost more than that and the agency was not making a profit after they paid the trainers ( who were very good) and the venue for the training.

13. WaylonWu

Yes, you could very well be right.

14. sounds like another hurdle

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi fisiks

I like your user name.

Taking a safeguarding course should either be free or low cost. Supply teachers have to be trained like all teachers is one way of looking at it.

16. Isoceles

Isoceles New commenter

I did the Educare safeguarding course recently. I thought it was very good.

17. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

My main agency ran a 'safeguarding' course for free

18. Rachelvallance

Rachelvallance New commenter

I've never been asked about or been required to do any courses either.

19. Jenexell

Jenexell New commenter

City of York council offers one for free. I've done that one and every agency I'm with has accepted it.