1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

compulsory but "voluntary" overtime

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Nationwide1966, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I work part time as an SSA in a first school employed 3 hours (9am-12pm) every day. Our school offers a creche facility for parents to leave their children in (any age range) on parent's evenings and we have been advised that as the full time TA's do not think it is fair that they have to cover the creche each time that the part time SSA's are now expected to "volunteer" to cover these sessions too and also to cover the after school discos from 3.45pm to 6.16pm. The creche evening sessions start at 3.45pm and end often 7pm or later. I do not think it is fair at all that we are expected to cover these sessions as I work the hours I work due to having children myself and my husband works away a lot so having to find childcare for my children while I go to look after other peoples children for no extra pay or time off does not seem right at all. As a part time SSA I regularly do overtime when covering all day school trips (I have racked up 15 hours plus already from Sept - Dec) so I feel that is my overtime contribution. When covering these trips I have been told that I cannot claim the overtime as extra pay as there is not budget for this and I am only allowed to take time owed off when the child I support is off poorly or on holiday as they would be unsupported otherwise. Does this seem fair or is it just me?

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Just say no. What will they do? Not pay you for the voluntary work?
    or 'I am sorry but I can't find childcare. Are you suggesting that I leave illegally leave my children unsupervised?'

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Clearly you should be paid for this extra time.
    A solution mentioned many times on o this forum is that you tell the management that you now have now found a fully paid job in the afternoon and will no longer be able to attend. any of these unpaid hours. Does not matter what the job is. Delivering leaflets.[​IMG]

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Agree with the above, it is out of order...and someone is taking the pi$$. There is no way that you can be directed to work extra hours, outside of your contract, and be told that you won't be paid!
    The same is true of the trips...if they can't pay you, then you can't work the extra hours. Don't let these incompetent idiots continue to rip you off!
    Mark

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Say no.

I am 2ndary and they wanted us to offer all sorts of after-school/Saturday/holiday booster sessions for y11: we now get paid the "going rate" (ie standard supply for all, not our actual hourly rate!) to do it.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

More fool the TAs that have been supervising the creches for free until now. It's iniquitous to be expecting low paid workers to do additional unpaid hours.
    If you're not being officially employed, my main concern would not even be over pay but over legally liability if anything happened to a child. What measures are in place, for instance, to ensure that unknown children are handed back to the correct adults?
    Don't do it! They have no right to ask in the first place. The parents should eitherkeep the children with them or arrange their own babysitter at home.

7. Thanks for you replies. I didn't think it was fair. I think its totally unfair of the school to offer the service to parents before checking with the staff that they can cover it and simply expect the staff to stay late for nothing. When I was told I "had to do it as it was my turn" by a TA I said I couldn't as I had to look after my own kids and they then suggested that I could bring them to sit in the creche with me!! Thats just what they would want to do after a full day at school! Other people have volunteered now so will be off the hook until next time.

8. Sounds like they are totally taking advantage of your staff's good will! Our school wouldn't expect part time staff to work those extra hours. Its like a full working day again for you. Teachers seem to forget they are paid for all holidays in the year so overtime for them is covered by this however most SSAs are only paid for 46/52 weeks in the year. Ask them to clarify if it is compulsory or voluntary and if it is compulsory they will have to at least pay you the overtime you quite rightly deserve!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It can't possibly be compulsory if the TAs and SSAs are already working their contracted hours each week (which they will be).
    Providing a creche is not a statutory duty of the school. The Head is doing it as a service to the parents and to make life easier (and quicker) for the teachers at the parents' evenings. That's no reason to make out that some of the lowest paid staff in the school must work for free!
    I may be wrong, but the line managers for SSAs are actually outside the school, aren't they? The Head does not direct them. An SSA should speak to their line manager about feeling coerced into doing something that is not even in their job description.

10. no one

no one New commenter

To bluepanda - teachers are paid for 1265 hours over 195 days. Teachers are not paid for the school holidays.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

True. Their pay for the 195 days is divided equally into 12 calendar months if they are on contract.
    In the same way, TAs etc are usually paid for perhaps 25 hours per week (when f/t is 37.5 hrs) for 43 weeks out of 52, but have their total annual remuneration divided into 12 monthly installments, meaning they are employed for 52 weeks but are effectively unpaid for 9 weeks (but can't claim JSA for 9 weeks as their regular pay prevents it!)