1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Compromise agreements

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by friendster, May 15, 2011.

  1. Thanks. I know you are right I just need to weigh up whether to go and take the money and work from there or go back to a possibly worse situation.
    I should not be in this position - why we couldn't have secured a decent HT I don't know!
    The worst of it is I was one of the people supporting her application because she seemed quite nice!!
    LOL
     
  2. becky70

    becky70 Occasional commenter

    I'd forget about leadership roles etc right now. If you have to leave you have to leave - I've been there myself.
    It's been a real challenge just to get an ordinary teaching post for me and I'm still only temporary - three years after leaving my permanent post.
    If you're off sick though health comes first - take the money and go. I am healthy, happy at work and can pay my bills and you will get to that place too. Who knows, you may find a teaching post at a school and then a leadership opportunity crops up.
     
  3. Personally - if it were me in this situation - I would run with the money - take stock of the career options, give yourself time to lick your wounds and then get back up and start afresh...
    Learn from it - it will add to your own positives as a HT when you get your own school! :)
     
  4. Yes I think you are right. At least other jobs will reduce the workload and enable to watch my own children grow up properly rather than them just being a blur amidst all the marking, detailed planning, targets etc. Hey the more I list the more the money sounds tempting Ha
     
  5. What happens when the money runs out, there's no supply and jobs are few and far between?
    If you are fortunate to have a job now, read through the supply forum and see what colleagues without a permanent post are having to put up with. Factor in your age & cost to employ, then decide what to do. Advice is freely available on here, but you are the one who has to live with the decision. Yes, the money is tempting, that is why it is being offered and yes, the thought of returning to your work situation is not a pleasant prospect for you, but the fact remains that you have a permanent post, a monthly wage, a pension that is accruing and home commitments.
     
  6. On the other hand, if this new head does not like you, he is very likely to make your life a misery while you are there, and then try and get rid of you. Depending on how unscrupulous he stoops to being, you could find yourself facing competency proceedings, trumped up charges etc. This could lead to being dismissed with no money, no reference and a ruined career. Get out with something in your pocket and an untarnished record.
     
  7. Yes that is what a lot of others think too. Will probably just have to take my chances, its an unfortunate position to be in but I do have enough money to last a few months - remains to be seen then whether I can actually go through with a resignation when the time comes in the next few days!!!

    Thanks for your comments.
     
  8. If you don't have a good lump sum already put by - longer than a couple of months, how can you consider not accepting the CA?
    I would urge you not to just resign...think, think and think again - listen to your union rep.
     
  9. Xericist

    Xericist New commenter

    A compromise agreement always contains an agreed reference as well as compensation, so it shouldn't disadvantage you professionally.
    Talk to your union regional office - it's a legally binding agreement so talk direct to them rather than school rep. Good luck
     
  10. Actually have asked for a closed reference rather than an agreed open reference because I thought that reference would look like a compromise agreement and some employers might think competancy though there are no competency issues involved. The closed agreement I have asked to be detailed and positive.

    Actually hoping to get another job soon so that I can miss her out as a referee as I have not worked with her for that long.
     
  11. Thanks for everyone's comments. It is certainly helping me to think more!
     
  12. I agree with the other posters on here, I think that you will never get the head to leave, and I think that either you take the CA or you will be pushed out via capability. I don't think there is any way you'll be able to stay in post.



    You don't know what the future is going to bring, and although I know you are trying to plan ahead, I think you should think of the now and take the CA. You can figure out how you're going to get back into work with what you've got at a later date.



    Fear of having no income and of not being able to get another job are what keep bullying heads like in place and winning.



    The Edudicator
     

Share This Page