1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compromise agreements and getting a new job.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shellybelly71, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Help!! The school I worked in got put into special measures last April. The head retired in the summer. In September the stresses and changes in the place were truly awful and in my view a lot of bullying was taking place. I was school union rep and so had a good idea what was going on. I went off with stress just before October half term and decided I had to resign from post as it was affecting my health and family. I contacted the union about this, and was adviced to hold on he could get me a compromise agreement. This was the advice given to four other teachers. I decided to go with the deal. The CA was completed on 30.11.11. Now I am trying to get a job.... easier said than done -I have to say on application I resigned for personal reasons and that I resigned on 30.11.11. At a recent interview I got asked why I resigned on that date, was it a CA, was I incompetent? Very humiliating, very soul destroying and took away the little confidence I had left.In fact I was reduced to tears. I have never been less than good or outstanding. I have never been down incompetency route. Any ideas how I can approach this? All I want to do is get back into teaching....
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    I think that personal means exactly that! If you don't wish to discuss it then you don't. It should make no odds as to whether you have been down the capability route. I am currently going through horrible time with my school. Many senior mangers are using capability in order to get rid of good solid teachers espeically if the school is going through special measures & changing status. If you are an established teacher, then the cost of you becomes the issue. Why pay you when you could get 1.5 new models with newer techniques.
    In real life my advice would be simple - in interviews these days you have got to teach a lesson. Your natural style & interaction with the students will show up. Those doing the interview will know whether you are incompetent or not because they will see for themselves. Turn it back on the interviwer- schools use CAs because it saves them face. Bullying & victimisation is illegal. If they were so sure that what they were doing was right then why would they compromise? they wouldn't!
    Dust yourself down - I am sure that you are a good teacher with sound subject knowledge. Go in there & do what you do with confidence & pride. Don't allow them to shake you!!!![​IMG]
    Alternatively do supply. At least that way you will have more flexibility.
    Good luck with it all. I hope that you are able to get what you want.
    Kind regards & best wishes.

3. PS
    If you are being asked those sorts of questions by the interviewer, then to me that is highly intimidatory - in so far as they have chosen to interview you based on what was on your application form. If they had any doubts about your capability, then they would not have done so.
    You probably had a lucky escape.

4. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

OK, I don't quite get this, you quit working at a school because it was a nightmare.... and that calls your competency into question? At the interview I would have said something like this.... " I resigned because the school was poorly managed"

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

You can't say you resigned, because accepting a CA is not resigning. It is a 'mutual termination' of your contract.
    To the OP, perhaps say in future that you wished to leave before the end of term, for family/personal reasons and the school were 'kind enough' to allow you to do so. Saying a previous school was at fault rarely goes in your favour.
    I agree with the other poster who said you were better off out of that school, as any decent management team should know that a CA is confidential and you aren't ALLOWED to tell people you have one, so they shouldn't ask!!
    If you get in this position again I think:
    'Turn it back on the interviewer- schools use CAs because it saves them face. Bullying & victimisation is illegal. If they were so sure that what they were doing was right then why would they compromise? they wouldn't!'
    is probably the best you can do.
    If they've made their mind up about it already and don't plan to offer you the job then at least you get it off your chest!
    Hope you have more luck next time X

6. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Well, that is semantics.... she agreed to quit, they agreed not to fire her. Point is that she left due to bad management. Beating around the bush at an interview makes it look like it was somehow your fault. .. I would tell the truth. That the school was poorly run and I left for that reason.

7. Well that may be so, but in the UK you will be unemployed.
    It does not do to slate your previous school. Sometimes it is better to either not discuss it or to phrase your response in a manner that tells the the interviewer that their question is out - of - line. This is certainly one of those situations.
    It does not make it look as though it is her fault. Perhaps this is a cultural thing. Blurting out that the management of your previous institution was poor ( unless it it well known) does you no favours, indeed it can do you more harm as it may be thiught that you are not compitant and are willing to say that you are being victimised/bullied if you are brought to task about it.

8. BTW
    Resignation is very different from a CA as the CA is confidential & a regination is not.
    Good luck OP
    You have recieved some sound advice from the two original posters.

9. Thank you so much for your advice. The new head has got rid of four UPS3 teachers and can now bring in an army of less experienced teachers to get the school out of special measures and still have money left over. The CA's were definatly gagging orders. I will keep applying and rise above this whole situation.
    Many Thanks, enjoy the weekend
    [​IMG]

10. There you are - what is happening is ridiculous and unfortunate because the new teachers are likely to burn out. The younger models don't seem to have the staying power.
    teaching currently has the most people leaving - I wonder why?mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I am glad that you found the post(s) helpful.
    Have a good weekend & good luck in your quest.

11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

If this is the whole story behind compromise agreement, it seems to me that the LA and headteadcher agree to a CA to cover their backs because they know they have done something to be compromised of. But then why should a future employer be worried about an applicant having a CA. In education everything is subjective.

12. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

How many months is it usual to get in a CA?

13. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Between 3 and 6 but often its not exact and is just a random number that is negotiated between the parties. Expect an amount roughly around 3-4 times your net monthly pay.

14. A compromise agreement is not specific to education: it's been standard in national employment practice for many years. I happen to think it's past its sell-by date as a useful facility. But it's often a soft option for unions, LAs and Heads. But it does get a victim of bullying out of an iniquitous situation, which will often be a priority at that time, which is its main attraction.

15. To anyone who's thinking of accepting a compromise agreement, try to get a leaving date at the end of a term (the official leaving date i.e. Dec. 31st, April 30th, Aug. 31st) to avoid the questions that the O.P. has had. It seems all too easy just to accept the quickest exit when you're under stress but if you're hoping to continue teaching, the leaving date will stand out and is bound to be checked.

16. as right as this may be - it is totally wrong to have to do this. Sometimes if it is so unbearable, you should not be judged for taking the best route for you & your family

17. The problem is that it's generally agreed that bad-mouthing a previous school is a no-no, yet happy and contented teachers do not leave abruptly in the middle of a term. Frm a career point of view, it is better to do what houserabbit suggests. If the situation is unbearable, the best thing to do is to be signed off for the duration of the rest of the term, although most Heads will "back away" if they know you are leaving (I am saying most, but mine did not.)

18. Just to say that it is so encouraging to read supportive messages from colleagues who are people who have a bit of oomph about them when it comes to the really important things. Yeah, just that. Nice to feel the integrity oozing out of posts such as Bob's. (sorry ...late I'm sure integrity surely doesn't ooze at all but YKWIM!) Good on ya.