1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

compromise agreement

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sadandconfused, Oct 5, 2010.

1. posted in workplace dilemmas but it was suggested that I ask here too
    I am potentially about to sign a compromise agreement. I wondered what a potential new head thought of a reference that was part of a compromise agreement - are they really obviously noticeable and would it put you off employing someone?
    thanks for your help

2. Sorry, but yes it would rather

3. even without knowing anything about the reasons for it?

4. You won't want to hear this but sadly yes, I'd want to speak to your previous head.

5. Obviously I cannot comment on your situation, but in my experience an agreed reference does not give much "reference" to the areas that initiated/resulted in the compromise agreement being actioned. The school that issued the reference is normally bound by conditions in the agreement that stipulate they cannot comment further on the ex employee's performance etc. They must just refer to the agreed reference. Therefore, I would take the view that there was no smoke without fire and opt for the cautious path and not shortlist. Sorry, I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it's the way I and, I believe the majority of heads would go.

6. Thanks for your replies. In my situation I am leaving as a result of workplace bullying and am being advised by HR and the union that this is the best way forwards for me. The reference I am getting is on a standard LEA produced form and so does not look anything like an agreed reference (ie it is not going to say "to whom it may concern") so I am hopeful that it won't stop me from getting my next post.
    And I totally understand caution - I understand under safer recruitment procedures that compromise agreements are flagged as being something you shouldn't accept - hence why I am so worried about this!

7. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

The problem with this stance is that it gives the benefit of the doubt to the Head and no voice to the recipient of the compromise agreement. Psychopathic Heads who bully staff out of their jobs have free reign to wreck careers with no come-back. Heads like this may be in the minority - but they do exist.

CatnipEvergreen likes this.
  8. I hope that by quoting me you were not refering to me as a Psychopathic Head who bullies staff out of their jobs!
    Because of the stance I take. I think you'll find that the vast majority of comp. agreements are a quick way of ridding the school of a poor/failing staff member. Of course there will always be exceptions, it's just spotting them !

9. Gardening Leaves

Certainly not thrupp! I was just pointing out that unfortunately there are bad pennies among senior leaders. Since becoming involved with and interested in workplace bullying as an issue I have become aware of the havoc they can wreak and the devastation they can cause. At the moment the odds are stacked very much against the victim.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Like any profession there are good and bad heads. I've also seen senior leaders bullied by tas. It can work both ways. Sadly.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope that it all works out for you.
    When you're feeling better, come over to JobSeekers Forum and see if we can help you get another job where you'll be happy.
    Best wishes

12. There's probably loads but you can't tell from a formal application. You'd only know they were actually a good teacher by employing them (I can see why you wouldn't take the risk) or by having them in on supply.
    I'd strongly suggest the OP goes down the supply route.

13. Couple of points:
    An agreed reference is probably better than no reference or a reference left to the HT's own devices.... [​IMG]
    The whole point of an agreed reference is that ot needs to be agreed - you can ask for inclusions/omissions and to an extent if approached well and asking only for factual admissions this can result in a good quality reference.
    It may mean not getting the exact dream job next time around but certainly good enough to get a job...
    As for the HT stating it is an agreed reference - you can get clauses tha state that neither party is allowed to discuss the contents of the compromise agreement nor the reference being agreed.... as such the HT could not state that it was wothout being in breach of contract.

There will be life after the compromise agreement! [​IMG]

14. thanks for your reply Miss Pious. I sincerely hope so!

15. Take it from me as well. No CA but left a school with no job to go to in difficult circumstances. The only way is up!

16. Hi
    I think it is important that you and most other people who find themselves off sick with stress after being treated badly at work often develop/or have mental health issues. (I speak as someone who has been through the mill in this regard).
    CA are hard; schools will in my experience try to rush things. BUT you must only sign when you are ready and you must have the full legal support of your union and someone who can act like an advocate. (eg clergyman or counsellor)
    The agreement will lead to you not being able to speak about this matter at all - when you are better and as time passes things will get easier and you may manage to get back into teaching. Sometimes it is better not to say things.
    The reference does not have to start to 'whom it may concern' - you should ensure that your reference is fixed but that the school addresses it correctly each and every time it is requested . Get someone else (other than the union) to help you put the reference together - you may not be well enough to deal with it.
    I was lucky to work for a head who was willing to show my fixed reference to me and give me feedback on it. She thought it was better than my other reference as it was balanced.
    There are an alarming no of teachers who seem to find themselves in this kind of situation. I do wonder about school leaders and how they treat their staff (esp when staff turnover, ca, sick, stress levels can be so high)?
    Why dont ofsted look at this stuff ? Its not in the public domain at all. OOPs I already answered that - we are all gagged.
    Look after you.

17. I agree that it would put me off appointing someone if I know that it was an agreed reference. However, I have provided an agreed reference for a member of staff leaving due to a compromise agreement and the reference agreed was bland and didn't 'stick out' as an agreed reference - the member of staff concerned has since been shortlisted and appointed to another job. Ensure that your union advises you about the reference that you accept.

18. Gardening Leaves

I think it's important to emphasise that,if someone becomes ill with stress-related health issues, as a consequence of having been subjected to bad treatment at work, they have suffered a psychological injury. This is not the same thing as having a mental illness.

19. I've been reading all of your posts with interest I have been through this before. My union messed up big time with my agreed reference, and it costs me £10K in legal fees to sort out, which I am not happy about as I am still burdened with this debt. Please feel free to drop me a line if you need further advice.

20. Hi devondumpling - I am curious about what went wrong, as I am currently off sick with stress and my next step according to my union is to try and negotiate a compromise agreement. I wasnt aware anything could go wrong with it?!