1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compromise agreement leaving recognition

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shy anne, Mar 30, 2012.

1. A friend of mine who works at my old school has given in to the unreasonable demands of the job and agreed to take a compromise agreement at the early stages of informal competency proceedings. His final day of employment was the 31st March. I phoned another friend today to ask her to add my name to his leaving card and to get his home address so I could send a small gift - he has worked for the school for 10 years and for the local authority for 32 years.
    I was shocked to find that there had been no leaving collection and in fact, the Head did not even refer to him at the Easter end of term drinkies when gifts were given to other staff leavers. OK, he has been off sick with stress related illness since the end of December but even so, I would have expected some mention by the Head that he had now 'retired'. Apparently, no staff there have been told that he is not coming back, they think he is still off sick and, although some suspect what has happened, only the close friends he spoke to are in the picture. Even the second in department who has stepped in to do much of the work (my other frined there, hence my knowledge of what has happened) has not officially been told anything.

Is that normal practice?

2. A friend of mine who works at my old school has given in to the unreasonable demands of the job and agreed to take a compromise agreement at the early stages of informal competency proceedings. His final day of employment was the 31st March. I phoned another friend today to ask her to add my name to his leaving card and to get his home address so I could send a small gift - he has worked for the school for 10 years and for the local authority for 32 years.
    I was shocked to find that there had been no leaving collection and in fact, the Head did not even refer to him at the Easter end of term drinkies when gifts were given to other staff leavers. OK, he has been off sick with stress related illness since the end of December but even so, I would have expected some mention by the Head that he had now 'retired'. Apparently, no staff there have been told that he is not coming back, they think he is still off sick and, although some suspect what has happened, only the close friends he spoke to are in the picture. Even the second in department who has stepped in to do much of the work (my other frined there, hence my knowledge of what has happened) has not officially been told anything.

Is that normal practice?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Speaks volumes about the head, and none of it good.

4. It happens. The teacher may ven be airbrushed off the newsletter of staff who have left. etc. Regardless of the views of the HT, there is no reason why staff do not openly organise a farewell card on their return. If they don't then they clearly have the HT they deserve.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And no right to complain when it happens to them.

6. This is true- we complain about ruthless SLT, but the staff are often collectively spineless and do nothing effective as a body. Check who your staff leaders are.
    Who are the union reps? Are they part of the problem? Who gets elected to lead staff associations and why? Do they actually get elected?

Democracy for the staff room with strict rules of anonymity, honourable representatives and a shared concern for fellow teachers could go a long way to change some of this.