1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compressing a PDF File

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by holmes5668, Feb 13, 2011.

1. It sounds like I'm posting on the wrong forum, but actually not. I've been attaching multiple page PDFs to applications with all the requested documentation, which has been fine when only CVs and scanned references are requested. However, recently I've had to send PDFs that are just under 10MB because the schools have requested copies of all transcripts as well as scanned references and professional certificates. We're also a teaching couple, so all docs are doubled up.
    I don't seem to have any control over the size of the PDF when I initially scan it, so I'm looking for some kind of compression program after I've strung all the docs together.
    Any ideas?

2. I should say, the reason I posted was, the last 9MB application got bounced back from the recipient's email address for being too large.

3. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Although your query is linked to the overseas forum as it relates to applications for overseas schools, I would argue that the 'right' forum is the one where people can answer your query.
    Have you posted this on ICT? I think you're probably more likely to get a fast response from someone who can help on there.

4. Your point is taken and I may do that, but as I am applying for jobs overseas there might well be teachers on this forum who have experienced this issue.........or maybe not. Time will tell.

5. My preferred way is to use Open Office - it's free software available for a variety of platforms, can be downloaded from www.openoffice.org. Then, when you scan your documents, save them as whatever type of bitmap your scanner will allow (doesn't matter if they are compressed or not, because openoffice will do that for you when you create your PDF.
    Open up writer in openoffice and insert each image into wherever you want them to be in your document. Then when you've saved the document (just in case you ever need to change things), choose the Export as PDF option - this will allow you to set the resolution of images embedded in the PDF to whatever you think works best. I'd suggest seeing what 300dpi and 150dpi look like in terms of quality of image v file size before lowering the jpeg compression factor - but that should be able to go down to 70 or so before the quality degrades too much.
    If you do choose the option of putting them on a webserver instead, you may want to password-protect the directory (and supply a password when you send the school the url), or at the least, edit your robots.txt file so that Google doesn't add your scans to its search results.

6. Huh, didn't know that about OpenOffice. I'll give it another chance. ;)
    About the webserver, google would only find the document if there's a link to it, otherwise it can't know it's there.

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

How innocent (naive?) you are. If it's located on the internet, with or without direct links, it can be found.
    Like a previous poster said, you need to reduce your image size. However, if you are scanning directly to pdf your setting are wrong, or you're creating a pdf with 100's of pages. I can't imagine any school requesting more than 10 or so pages, including certificates.

8. I eventually uploaded the PDFs to our personal website and sent the links. The school was fine with that. I was concerned schools might not want to click on links of an unknown internet address.
    I think you're right, I need to go back and scan them again with lower settings. I don't remember it being adjustable, but that seems what I'll have to do (didn't want to face having to do it again).
    As mentioned, it hasn't been an issue before, because generally all that was requested was CVs and reference letters, but our combined total for transcripts and professional certificates alone comes in at thirteen pages (we've moved about a bit). That tips the balance.
    Thanks for info.

9. Not sure how it's possible to reduce the size of a jpeg file from very large to very small, but if you try to compress a PDF 9MB shrinks down to 8.5MB. Kinda pointless.

10. If you open it with any decent image editing software, you should be able to resize it (it sounds like it's a huge picture, probably taken with a camera in the 10 - 15 MP range). Then when you save it as JPEG, set the quality to about 80. Scarcely noticeable loss in quality.
    One program I'd recommend for this is IrfanView (free).

MisterMaker, I understand from reading other threads that you have difficulty accepting you're wrong, so my efforts may be futile here. I'll give it a go though.
    Google can't find things on the internet if there are no links to that content. That is how search engines find webpages and other content stored on servers. The only exceptions are things like robots.txt and favicon.ico that search engines know to look for on every domain. If you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe Google:
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=70897

11. There are no jpegs involved, all docs were scanned directly to PDF. Will look into rescanning and lowering file size. the 10MB is made up of 20-odd scanned PDF docs.

12. MisterMaker

When I'm wrong (rarely) I'll admit it, so don't worry about that. However, I am corrrect on this one.
    1. I'm not talking specifically about google, I'm reffering to the ability of hackbots in general to discover data on any website, even if it is not hyperlinked from the webpages it can be found. For one thing, if it's on the website it will be in the website's server index, hyperlinked or not. Permissions should stop unauthorised access but are not foolproof; most websites are not setup securely enough to block those without permission. Therefore, private / sensitive data should not be stored on an internet linked server, or if it is it should be secured with at least a password, but don't forget that anything is crackable and a standard pdf password is easy to discover with the right software.
    2. Google may say they crawl only for data mentioned in this link you gave. Er...this is google we're talking about, the same company that 'accidentally' hacked into thousands of insecure personal computers, (not webpages, but acutal computers sitting in peoples homes!) collecting millions of private files most of which it still hasn't deleted.
    So, pants, don't try to patronise; I hope you're not an ICT teacher.

13. MisterMaker

I can only presume you've been living in a cave for the last year if you've missed all the google news. [​IMG]
    I binged 'googled steal data' and came across this report, (it's been widely reported on BBC and CNN too):
    google steals data [​IMG]
    I bing rather than google - google have too many bad habits. I'm even one of those nerds who got them to remove a photo of my house from street view (and that was before news about their 'accidental' hacking broke) [​IMG]