1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comprehension for homework

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eddiecarron, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Just a thought. go to www.schoolwork.bz and use the entry code ure132ty
    You will find there an extensive series of comprehension texts suitable for Year 6 pupils which report of on literal and inferential comprehension passages - cost? Free.
    These are used in my current research project called Every Child a Level 5 Engish in 2011 This site is very good for homework use.

Hope this helps
    Eddie Carron

2. Just looked at the site and didn't get it. Where are the comprehension activities? What has this got to do with level 5 English? I have year 1s who could easily read and understand this.

3. why do you feel you need to set them homework to do? What skills do you wnt them to acquire whihc need them to do extra work at home? Especially in year 1/2? Why do you feel they need to be sitting down with paper and pencil tasks after a long school day full of just those same type of tasks? What do you hope they (and you as their teacher ) will achieve from those tasks? - Forget 'indpendent learning' as there will be none of that, the parents will have to waste family time in doing these tasks. What will you do if parents/ children do not do this homework? Isn't it a good idea to have some activities up your sleeve if some parents really want school to continue at home but to allow others their homelife without obligation? Please tell me what will be gained by anyone around a busy family kitchen tiable the added pbligation to do a series of routine, almost certainly not inspiring externally imposed tasks, of uncertain relevancy and which you wish to direct them to do for 'more than five minutes' ?

4. misslp_2

misslp_2 New commenter

Excuse me! I am quite insulted by your response!
    I am an outstanding teacher and literacy coordintor and was asked by members of staff and the SLT to purchases some comprehension homework activities. I simply thought I would ask for suggestions to ensure I purchased material which would be of use!
    There are many reasons why I send work home with pupils and the progress they make during the time they spend in my class shows that the diet of activities has a positive impact on their learning. You do not know my school, my class or their parents. Many of the very supportive parents want to help their children at home and I provide a wide range of activities which they can do together. I think homework, if carefully planned, can encourage children and parents to discuss school life and what the child is doing in class. If a child has not done their homework because they have been to karate etc etc there is no problem at all and the chidlren in my class know that. I do however feel that it helps ensure children who do not have opportunity to do out of school activities don't spend all their time on computer games etc.

5. That would be idea of a nightmare - creative writing for homework - why would anyone want to mark that? It would either be pure tripe and a couple of lines long or pages and pages of lovely ideas given to them by their parents.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

For goodness sake, get off your high horse and stop being so over-sensitive. Some people find the benefits of homework outweigh the disadvantages, while others are of the opposite opinion. Don't take a disagreement as a personal insult.
    Plenty of teachers at my school have had observed lessons categorised as outstanding. I've never heard any of them go round telling people that they are "outstanding teachers".
    I'm an English co-ordinator and if I was asked to buy comprehension books for Years 1 to 6, I'd say that it wasn't appropriate for the younger ones (I admit that I wouldn't say anything about homework for the Juniors, as I know I'd be fighting a losing battle).
    I know that many parents do like to have homework - and some children enjoy it. However, I feel that the only <u>compulsory</u> homework should be activities such as reading together regularly and (for older children) practising tables.
    If parents want to do more than that, then the school's VLE should be providing links to appropriate websites. If parents are desperate for written homework then there are plenty of books in WHSmiths ect for them to buy.
    I'm one of the parents who fall into the other camp. Like many others, I dread the Sunday evening routine of coaxing my child to do her spellings and homework. And she's a bright girl, who generally only needs a little help with her work. It must be worse for those children who are really struggling at school.
    Sometimes she's been really excited by a topic, and has wanted to do something like making up a newspaper article about The Great Fire of London. Of course, I've encouraged her whenever she has these ideas. But, the weekly homework is a pain.

7. Personally I wouldn't send home comprehension worksheets. I do them in class and can then use them as evidence for my ongoing reading assessments. I wouldn't use worksheets done at home as evidence because I couldn't guarantee that it was the child's own work.

Why would you want to send comprehension home if it can't be used as evidence. If you're going to say so that children can learn the skill of comprehension then that's fine but they should be learning that in school, with a teacher.

8. I set homework each week that has some relevance to what we have done the previous week. I hand it out on a friday and its collected back in the following Friday.
    I have explained to the chidlren it is not compulsory but it would help them understand and reinforce the classwork. I have also explained to parents that this is also the case.
    The children choose if they want to do it or not and they choose which level from the 3 they want to do also.
    I regularly get about half the homework back and sometimes more when the children see it as a more fun activity.
    I do however chase up the reading diaries making sure children are reading at home as I feel this helps in a myruad of ways.
    I am dismayed that some parents see homework as a chore. I feel some exciting and collaborative homework that can be done with parents brings children and their parents together.
    It is probably not something that needs to be done with people who rate education as a high priority ie TEssers, but it something that needs to be encouraged for the families of the children in my school as education for many of them is not a high priority.

9. Maybe the children in school have poor comprehension skills. I know the children in my class have and we have worked hard to remedy this.
    It did include sending home some comprehensions for the children to practise at home and then they were discussed as a class in a subsequent session.

10. What about the children in those households where family time does not exist? Where parents would rather watch the TV or go to the pub than spend time with their children? What about those parents who have never spent a day, an evening or an hour or even 20 minutes enriching the lives of their children by taking them to the theatre, a museum, a country walk.
    The children in those families need independent learning. The children in those families often have no choice other than to learn independently at home. Not every child has an enriched homelife as your lucky family seem to have.
    It seems to me that the OP did not want to send home boring and uninspiring comprehensions but was looking for some advice on comprehensions that the children may a) find challenging b) interesting and c) enjoyable.

11. Rant over!!!