1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compound cuboids

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sophia_snail, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Could anyone tell me what level finding the volume of compound cuboids is? Volume of a regular cuboid is level 6 and volume of a right prism is level 7....the compound cuboids I plan to give my year 8s take a lot more thinking than the average triangular prism but I am wondering whether it still counts as level 6.

[I hate all this level stuff but we are required to tell the kids every 5 minutes what level they are working at, so I ought to know!]

2. Could anyone tell me what level finding the volume of compound cuboids is? Volume of a regular cuboid is level 6 and volume of a right prism is level 7....the compound cuboids I plan to give my year 8s take a lot more thinking than the average triangular prism but I am wondering whether it still counts as level 6.

[I hate all this level stuff but we are required to tell the kids every 5 minutes what level they are working at, so I ought to know!]

3. DM

DM New commenter

Weighing a pig does not make it any fatter.

4. Yes but if the pig is a prism with an L shape cross section and I find its volume by splitting it into two cuboids does this mean I can tick the "I am working at level 6" box or the "I am working at the level 7" box?

5. DM

DM New commenter

If you think they will find it motivating tell them it is Level 7. If you think they might reply "But that is too hard for me - I'm only a Level 6" then tell them it is Level 6.

6. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

DM you always make me laugh - think I'd try "its 6a/7c sort of level" it is important that the kids know what level they're working at so they can learn.......