1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Composition of interview panel

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by catfishjack, May 28, 2011.

1. Hi,
    As an internal candidate I recently lost out on a promotion, finishing a "very close second" to an external candidate. Feedback was more specific, giving one particular reason, and although disappointed I was satisfied I had been turned down for the right reason (making an assumption as to who the appointee was). However, I later found out that the successful candidate was not who I assumed I had been beaten by, and the reason I was given for coming second was a lot less valid than it first seemed.
    The successful candidate comes from the school that some of our SLT (including the head) joined our school from recently. One of those SLT members was present on the interview panel, although isn't in charge of my faculty, or responsible for HR. My question is - is this situation dubious? There's a lot of people in the school worried that from now on there will be little career progression, as preference will be given to candidates from a certain other school. (As you might imagine, my situation is the tip of the iceberg with regard to staff / SLT relations recently - one reason for my vagueness, there's an element of fear of "reprisals").
    Thanks.
    CJ

2. SLT's top priority is always, rightly, going to be good teaching. That can lead to political decisions by interview panels.
    They presumably have a secure knowledge of this other person's work and believe them to be a good/outstanding teacher. They may well believe the same of you. By appointing the other, they get to have two good+ teachers in the department, whereas if they had promoted you and advertised your post, then who knows what they might have got?
    By the same virtue, next time there is an opportunity for promotion, the internal candidate might be favoured over an external candidate who they know less about.
    That's the way it works.

3. If only.
    Then this forum would shrivel up and die.
    Russell, haven't you ever seen the promotion of SLT friends, family, lodge members and lovers over solid internal candidates? I have, and it seems this person has.
    So what we gonna do? I reckon the only thing you can do is acknowledge it's happened, and acknowledge there's nothing you can do.

4. oldgreywolf - that is how it seems. There has been a lot of resistance in the school to the new SLT team, and while I've stayed out of it all it feels as though I've lost out because SLT want to bring in their yes-men.
    The panel's feedback also made it clear that they knew they'd likely lose me as a result of the decision, as I was ready for the role but got passed over, so having 2+ good teachers in the dept doesn't seem to be something they were looking for.
    I know there's not much I can do for me, but can I do anything to highlight that I thought the process unfair and stop them screwing over other colleagues in the future?