1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

composition coursework query

Discussion in 'Music' started by starfluf, Apr 25, 2012.

1. hi guys. We're preparing coursework ready for marking and sending off. For compositions do I need to do announcements? Just centre number etc? thanks

2. You should do, it helps the moderator - there is acutally aa script somewhere in the spec, but I never bother with it. I usually announce the school and centre number as the first track and then just the candidate name, and composition number for each.
    There have been times when I have not done this but simply provided a track number - no one has ever complained.
    However, they did complain when I did not announce the performances - wierd.

3. cmf

cmf

Which board?
    Edexcel: Well, I got the shock of my life when I found TODAY what IS required.
    For a class of 10 students my track list on the CD is now 51 tracks!!!!!!!!
    1: "School name, number, GCSE music, 2012,composition,5mu02"
    2: "candidate 1 student Name, number, 1st comp title, 2nd comp title"
    3: "candidate 1, recording 1, composition 1"
    4: the composition
    5: "candidate 2 , recording 2, composition 2"
    6: the composition.
    That's 5 tracks per student.
    Quote from (administrative-support-guide-summer-2012-gcse-music) from the edexcel website
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse09/music/Pages/default.aspx
    Just had to re-do all my composition disc.
    Sorry to be the ...... Take it that its going to be a long weekend! Pint anyone?

4. Yes, and you need to write the track number on the MUS100 or MUS200 form for each performance and composition. Creates more and more work for us.

5. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

It would be sufficient, surely, if we just had to give each performance's/composition's track no on the CD without having to record announcements - I know this is not the case but would be much less hassle. It's obvious if score/annotation and audio track don't match that there is then an error!

6. KingShosters

KingShosters New commenter

Agreed. Have we really got to the stage now where the exam board are employing moderators who are incapable of reading?

7. gliss

gliss New commenter

AQA no longer ask for announcements, thank goodness, just a track list and if you make sure that all the documentation is in the right order re: track list - okey dokey!

8. cmf

cmf

Just be careful, you might get it back un-marked if it does not fit requirements, and make sure it plays on ANY cd player, my mod last year sent all mine back as I sent as MP3 and he couldnt play them even though the spec says "mp3, wav" I thought this year I would be really difficult and send on mini disc!

9. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I've done my sample today and followed this format (taken from the 2012 Admin Support document
    1) Centre, year, paper announcement
    2) Candidate 1 name and number, titles of pieces
    3) Piece 1
    4) Piece 2
    5) Candidate 2 etc.....
    There doesn't need to be another announcement inbetween piece 1 and 2

10. thanks sax07 that's exactly the way I'm doing it! So thanks for the reassurance :0)

11. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but does anyone know if this is still accurate for Edexcel?

With AQA I never did announcements, just track lists and a composite CD for each unit.

Also - how many students should I send off for the sample? I have a group of 12 students. Do I just pick them at random? This group is bigger than I have had before so I've always just had to send the lot!
    THank you all again!

12. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I've never used edexcel before, but assume it's the same as other exam boards in that they will ask for a sample of specific students after they've looked at the raw marks. It says they will definitely ask for the highest and lowest marked students, and then the others will include a spread of abilities.

13. Edexcel chooses the students for you and you also have to include the lowest and highest marks if they are not part of the sample. The names of the selected candidates are now available online, and if you have an Edexcel login and the appropriate access you might be able to see them. If you don't, your exams officer will be able to do it for you. We still need the right assessment forms though as the ones that are currently online are last year's...

14. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Thank you so much for replying both of you.
    I will definitely get my exams officer onto this for me.....just have to find out who it is first!!! haha! :/
    Blimey. Talk about taking on a challenge.....this new job is certainly interesting...