1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Composing across KS1 and KS2

Discussion in 'Music' started by foxtreeeducation, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Morning all.

This year I am aiming to roll out a composing project across both key stages with a strong cross-curricular link to writing. I have never yet found a way of teaching this that I am completely happy with. I was just wondering how other people approach it? my current basic idea is to write a topical poem add a melody afterwards.

Any thoughts?

2. eyhorne

eyhorne New commenter

I tend to start with a well known nursery rhyme/song and change the words to get them started on composing lyrics. For Year 5/6 I ask them to make a potted story of a well-known fairy tale and then make it into a 2/3 minute rap, (like Shakepeare shorts on Youtube) then we try and add some melodies, starting with a glock/chime bars to give some basic harmonies, then just using the old Ta/Ti Ti/Shh system to make some basic rhythms. Hope that helps?!

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Writing a good melody is a tricky skill, unless you are using a very limited range of pitches in solfa - soh, mi and la, for example.
    What about the pupils writing poems about, for example, the sea or a thunderstorm - using really excellent descriptive words and images - and then creating a piece of music based on the poem. The sea/rain could be gentle at first (soft playing, an ocean drum, tuned percussion); it could built up to a storm/crashing waves (hanging cymbal, rainmaker, drum) then subside.
    This approach would give you both writing and music which have integrity and value.