1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compliance

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cathr, Jan 25, 2019.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

One of my agencies called this morning asking if they could get a reference for me from one of my other agencies. Mumbled something about compliance which I didn't understand. Anyone know what they're on about?

2. at64

at64 New commenter

I can only think of safeguarding compliance. I am taking it all agencies ran DBS or at least saw your up to date certificate?

3. cathr

Yes they did. DBS is on the system and renewed annually. All 3 agencies I use have placed me in the last 2 months. Any further ideas?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I hadn’t worked for an agency for over three months since registering and when I called to enquire was told that they needed references to cover the period that I hadn’t worked for them. I said well as you’d only been able to offer work by calling me at 8:45am, you missed out being able to book me as other agencies call around 7:10-7:30am.

I told them I wouldn’t be renewing my references and to take me off their books. They asked where I’d been working, to which I gave a general reply of “oh in lots of schools all over the city.”

The cynic in me feels that they just want to know which other agencies I’d worked for and which schools I’d been to. I hadn’t worked for one of my other agencies for three months and they didn’t ask for fresh references, they just booked me for a two day placement after Christmas. Weird.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

My agencies (6 of them) are always ringing each other for references (which are really just confirmation that I worked on these dates and didn't hit any pupil). I believe that they have to do that as part of their regulations but some are clearly more thorough than others.

I'm very relaxed about the fact that they won't share any other information other than the bare minimum required. Whereas Heads contacting each other might verbally throw in some nugget about sickies or whatever it is definitely not in the agencies' interest as they are directly competing with each other.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. cathr

interesting, thank you JohnJCarzola

agathamorse likes this.