1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compliance - references

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thelaughingdonkey, Nov 8, 2018.

1. thelaughingdonkey

thelaughingdonkey New commenter

I worked for supply agencies 2 years ago. Got a full time job, then last year had really bad experience as a teacher employee and left at Easter this year. (As in I was not highly regarded for my teaching despite never being a problem previously). I have now applied for work with agencies again.

If supply agencies are not getting back with offers of work- would that ring alarm bells about things like references? What would stop you getting a job doing supply? I mean if there was a safeguarding issue - you would be told about it right? DBS wouldn't clear - which it has.

Can i see my references- from past employment?

Before anyone a) decides to be brutal- i am actually really anxious and depressed over this ...and b) yes i will put this on the Supply forum (posted on workplace dilemmas too)

N28 and pepper5 like this.
  2. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

I'm pretty sure the agencies would tell you if there was a problem with your references.

Past employment problems. Lots of us have had them. They'll disappear into history sooner or later. The past is the past. Anxiety and depression sucks. You have my empathy.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

@thelaughingdonkey

Welcome to the forum.

Usually when you are registered with agencies, if there was a problem with your references, the agency would tell you.

Just simply ring the agencies and ask them if you are now cleared for work with them. They will tell you if you need to do anything else or if there are problems with references.

This year has been slow getting started but it will pick up. Also, it takes time to get known again in the supply circuit.

Call your agencies in the morning and speak to the consultants.

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

pepper5 gave the same basic answer as me on the other forum (dilemmas)

We are both correct - that is not the reason you have not been getting work.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

As someone new to supply this term myself, I've also found things slow... That's because most schools have 'regular' supply teachers who they always request, so use newbies only get a look in when those supply teachers are ill/busy. Don't worry, as you get invited into more schools and they meet and like you, things will start to pick up.

tdf192 and agathamorse like this.
  6. tdf192

tdf192 New commenter

So true!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

it may be that Agencies are not getting back to you with work because they don't have much and the little that they do is being shared around amongst their longer serving supply teachers.
    It could also be that your references have not yet been received.

agathamorse likes this.