1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

complex conjugate notation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by David Getling, Aug 3, 2011.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The thread on curly x reminded me of one notation used by both IB and Edexcel that really annoys me: using superscript * instead of a bar over the top. I imagine this harks back to the days when you needed to use Latex to print the proper notation.

Using * is very clumsy and inelegant, so it's about time school text books did what universities have always done. At any rate, I encourage my students to use the proper notation.

Another thing I've seen is the use of ]x,y[ instead of (x,y) for open limits. Is this another school foible, or is it a European abomination - like switching the use of the comma and decimal point?

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The thread on curly x reminded me of one notation used by both IB and Edexcel that really annoys me: using superscript * instead of a bar over the top. I imagine this harks back to the days when you needed to use Latex to print the proper notation.

Using * is very clumsy and inelegant, so it's about time school text books did what universities have always done. At any rate, I encourage my students to use the proper notation.

Another thing I've seen is the use of ]x,y[ instead of (x,y) for open limits. Is this another school foible, or is it a European abomination - like switching the use of the comma and decimal point?

3. The complex conjugation notation has never bothered me much - * and overbar have both been around a long time. So has j instead of i for one of the square roots of -1.
    I have to admit, however, that I find the notation ]x,y[ instead of (x,y) rather hard to take in.