1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Completion of the NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by leahjb, Jun 26, 2016.

1. leahjb

leahjb New commenter

Hi,

My partner completed his PGCE last year and has been completing his NQT year since September 2015. At the end of term 1 (Dec 31st) he resigned from his first school due to him feeling very unsupported in his school. He had at this point completed his first term as an NQT. From January 2016 - August 2016 he is employed part-time (2 days a week) at another school. We have been told that if he were to continue teaching from September (full-time) his NQT year would be done by January.
    However, due to his stressful and unsupportive start he has been put off teaching and is looking at going into coaching (he is a PE teacher with coaching qualifications).

My question is, if he doesn’t complete his NQT in the next academic year will he be able to return to teaching? If so, will he have to take a different route back in?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There is currently no time limit of completing the NQT year. So if he goes into coaching and returns to teaching in 10 years, he will be able to finish off the last term of his NQT year then (assuming such a thing as an NQT year still exists by then).

3. leahjb

leahjb New commenter

Thank you, I was told once he had started his nqt year he had to complete it within two years, even though you don't have to start your nqt within a time limit I thought once you had started it then a clock began.

Is this not the case?

Thanks.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The only time limit is on any daily supply work which does not count towards induction and this is 5 years from his QTS date. If he is currently part time it may be that he has already completed a further term as long as he has a full induction programme is in place. Each term is recorded so he should ensure he has all the paperwork in place before he decides to leave- he then has an option of completing elsewhere.