1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Completing NQT year on supply?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jdanyl, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Dear James
    I completed my PGCE in 2010 and have been on day to day supply.I have been on 1 week supply in this school in Lancashire and have been offered a term's job.

Can i do my first NQT term in this school and when do I have to complete the others?

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

As long as the post is intended to last for a term's length (from any point in one school term until at least the same point in the next) and you are required to plan, teach and assess a regular timetable, it has to be on an Induction basis.
    It doesn't matter if you will be LA paid or employed by an agency.
    I did 2 of my Induction terms at different schools on daily paid supply.
    There is no time limit for completing Induction.
    There is a time limit for undertaking short-term teaching (short-term is anything under a term's length where Induction will not apply). You have a 16 month 'windo' to undertake such teaching in the State 5-16 sector, counting down from the first day of such work.
    When the 16 month period expires (at the end of 2011 or early 2012 for you, depending on when you did your first qualified supply day), you will need an extension from the LA if you haven't yet completed Induction and don't have another Induction term lined up. The LA can award up to another 12 months' permission to take short-term work.
    When all allowances are expired, you have to stop teaching in the State 5-16 sector unless on Induction.