1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Completing NQT then going abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nearlyanNQT, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm currently on my PGCE and now applying for jobs in UK schools for my NQT year from September onwards. Once I have completed the NQT school year, I plan on applying for a job abroad from September 2012 for a couple of years before coming back to the UK, as this is something I really wish to do before settling down.
    My question (and worry!) is this:
    Once I have done the NQT year, leave the UK for a couple of years then come back, will I be seen as a fully qualified teacher? Will this affect my job prospects, or make it advantageous?
    There are many discussions of teaching abroad before NQT year, but I have yet to find one that answers this!

2. Hi all,
    I'm currently on my PGCE and now applying for jobs in UK schools for my NQT year from September onwards. Once I have completed the NQT school year, I plan on applying for a job abroad from September 2012 for a couple of years before coming back to the UK, as this is something I really wish to do before settling down.
    My question (and worry!) is this:
    Once I have done the NQT year, leave the UK for a couple of years then come back, will I be seen as a fully qualified teacher? Will this affect my job prospects, or make it advantageous?
    There are many discussions of teaching abroad before NQT year, but I have yet to find one that answers this!

3. 576

576 Occasional commenter

If you have completed your NQT then of course you'll be seen as a fully qualified teacher.
    "Will this affect my job prospects, or make it advantageous?" Do you mean in the UK or overseas???
    You should note that most international jobs state in their requirements 2 years experience.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

"Will it affect my job prospects if I teach abroad for a few years?"
    I think that the answer to this question depends on many different factors, such as how long you were overseas for and the type of school back in the UK where you will hope to get a job, once you return to Good Old Blighty from your sojourn in foreign parts.
    Of course it is quite possible that some headteachers in the UK will think that you have gained mind-expanding knowledge and enriching skills while you have been abroad and so they will be eager to move you up the payscale in order to make use of your valuable international experience. On the other hand, some headteachers in the UK will probably think that you have just skived off overseas to escape from bloody Ofsted and to have an extended holiday in the sun for a few tax-free years.
    If you teach Chemistry or Physics, then they will offer you a job anyway, so you don't need to worry.

5. Hello,
    I completed my NQT year and then came to work abroad, been here for 18 months now. Yes you will be seen as a fully qualified teacher, and I don't think it will affect your job prospects in a negative way! The way I see it, most of my friends I graduated with are still on temp contracts as the job situation in Scotland is awful- at least I have had full time employment! I have friends who have done the same and returned to the UK with no problems. But, I must say, it is my experience that if you come and work abroad and have a good time, you'll be away from the UK for more than 2 years!! I can't see myself going back anytime soon :) I wouldn't worry, you never know what the future will hold.
    Hope you make your decision :)

6. I am in my 2nd year of teaching and thinking of going abroad as well.
    Out of interest h3720, whereabouts are you teaching now?