1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Completing a Master's during NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by amye_prendergast, Jul 17, 2019.

1. amye_prendergast

amye_prendergast New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I've recently finished my PGCE and I'm starting my NQT year in September. I want to do a full Master's qualification, and I had planned on doing so next year, but then somebody suggested waiting until my NQT year is finished and then starting it next September? Has anyone else done this/thought about this who could offer me some advice? Not sure whether to do it now or not!
    Thanks!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Prioritise your NQT year. Nothing can really prepare you for the rigours / demands of this and I think you underestimate the challenges it will bring. You need to devote all your time, energy, enthusiasm and resources to achieving successfully QTS.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Whilst that is sound advice, be aware of the statistics.

The percentage of those who complete the masters by doing it from the NQT year onwards is around 75%. A quarter drop it because it is too tough.

The percentage of those who complete their masters having said they'll do their masters once they’ve got on top of their teaching is around 15%. The majority never get on top of their teaching load.

Part time masters are not that bad. Your PG gives you 60 credits so you do two 5,000 word essays in your NQT year and a 10,000 word dissertation in your RQT year. I usually factor it takes around five days of writing work per 5,000 word essay so that’s ten days of work a year for two years. You attend taught sessions as well, but they are quite pleasant and are not tiring.