1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Completely fed up with this virus....

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SEBREGIS, Jun 2, 2020.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

This is just a whine, so feel free to ignore me, but...

For three months, we've been in the surreal situation of sitting at home trying to provide children we don't see with an education. We've had panics, we've had confusion, we've had good decisions made by management, we've had confusing ones. Everyone is trying their best but now the temperature is through the roof, I've got the worst hay fever I've had in years, and every day has become a battle to stay focused.

How can I get up in the morning, drive to work and never be late, but I'm staggering into the sitting room unwashed and unprepared for my day? Perhaps I should get up at my normal time, drive round the block and then start?

Why am I so sleepy all the damned time. I've tried everything. Fresh air, coffee, exercise. I just want to sleep....

Why am I praying for rain. Not just a summer shower, but a Noah style deluge? So I can dance around in it like Andy DuFrane?

Why is it that the most exciting classroom experience of my past month has been a Bee landing on my keyboard?

Why do I feel like Charlton Heston in the original Omega Man? (Not the awful Will Smith remake. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith, but ... and there I go again. Why did they do a remake of the Omega Man with Will Smith, but not a remake of say 'El Cid'? I think a fly just buzzed through my head. In one ear, out the other.

I'd love that feeling of someone stepping over my grave. But everyone is indoors.

I'm not bored, because I have too much to do. Or stare at. Too much to look at and think - that would normally take ten minutes but I think I might need a week or so.

Jump leads. I need jump leads. Or to bathe in the blood of PGCE students with their innocence and enthusiasm.

And zoom calls - what do my colleagues do? Neck espressos or just snort coke, because they seem as full of beans as ever? I sit there looking like a slow motion picture of cousin IT, wondering if my bladder will hold out to the end of the call. Or whether I'll just pitch face first onto the keyboard and start snoring loudly.

Where's my bloody mojo gone?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

This has to be the best post in months, rest assured you are not alone... and how I laughed as I read it and related so very very much to every word... thanks for posting this :)... I now know I am not alone, except you can add fighting nabs for workspace, delivery people knocking the door down mid lesson while nabs and I are working, teaching in jammies while poorly without a cam thankfully, neighbours all deciding to rebuild their houses and gardens loudly, dustily and all day every day for weeks on end and the loopy dogs who are confused by our presence and think they can teach the remote lessons better than me... Sheesh!

3. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

Just an exquisite post, many congratulations. It is in fact so good a post, that I feel prompted to post here for the first time in months...

I identify with every single aspect of your content. Things that would take one hour are taking me weeks, I am giving world class feedback to anonymous swathes of young people, yet to what avail... I have students doing more than they would in school, yet I have students that I have not heard from in months... I need to plan desperately for September... for now... for next week. But what the hell am I planning for and how the hell do I go about this? And what the HELL is happening?

My classroom is being taken apart (practical classroom) by all-comers, who seem to think it is their right to plunder my materials and resources, and seem aghast when questioned.... By me in my pyjamas at home.... Planning, what the HELL am I planning.... Oh exciting, email received from student A.... Sir... How am I meant to do this work as I don't have a pencil.... can you please deliver one to my address' (one of many similar emails)....

Endless emails from SLT not actually saying anything, many of which offering completely conflicting information and advice... Wow what day is again... what date is it again... Oh god Year 10 were/are/will be (take your pick) miles behind (or are they? For the first time in my 12 year dynamic and exciting teaching career I have simply no idea).

Oh what is this... a team call (god I hate team calls)... why is everyone so happy? Why does everyone have SO many ideas? What is going on and WHY the hell am I wearing a Hawaiian shirt? God the assistant head has an absolutely horrendous taste in furniture....

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I relate to your post in many ways, and our emotional response to the virus has no effect on how long it will take to run its course.

I think your feelings are normal and natural, but also, just becasue this is a normal way to feel in lock down doesn't mean that the possibility of other factors contributing to your feelings should be ignored.

Have you had the virus? could you have it now?

also, are you taking vit D supplements?

1 person likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Ah, bless you for your concern!

I'm fine in every regard except for work. I'm normally a highly motivated, (reasonably) organised individual but the change of environment is difficult. And I think its because the two things I enjoy most out of teaching are i) planning lessons and ii) delivering lessons in the classroom. This remote stuff is utterly demotivating. But I'm taking plenty of exercise, eating well , looking out for my mental health etc.

Thanks again!

VeronicAmb and Corvuscorax like this.