1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Complete NQT year through agency

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by emilyswift, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Hi,

I just had a call from an agency (World Class Teachers) who said that I won't be able to find a contract through any agency in order to complete my NQT year as school NEVER approach agencies to hire NQTs. Is this true? Other agencies I've approached have said the opposite - that they're confident about finding me a permanent or long-term position so that I don't have to put off completing my NQT year. Having applied for many jobs and getting nowhere, I am really relying on agencies finding me something in September. Please help - confused!!

2. It is not true that schools NEVER approach agencies for NQTs.
    It is schools that have the requirement to provide induction for a NQT if the NQT is employed for a minium of one term. It does not matter if the NQT comes from an agency or through a personal approach. It matters not who pays your salary (the agency or the local authority). The onus is on the school to provide induction.
    The only loophole that I can see is if a school employs you from an agency on a daily basis and you never have a timetable and always have different classes and subjects day to day, in which case I can't see a school employing a teacher from an agency on a long term basis (over 1 term) in the first place. If an agency finds you employment for a minimum of 1 term then it is not going to be on a daily basis it would be to cover a vacancy, a maternity or qa long term illness and you are most likely to have a timetable - so induction applies. Do be careful though that the school registers you for induction before or as soon as possible after the start of the term. Even if you start part way into a term and it is expected that the job will last into the next term (thereby making it the equivalent of a term) then induction applies. You do not have to start induction at the start of a term.
    James

3. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I have just completed my induction year, having found my school through an agency. The agency introduced me to the school, and the school took me on directly so my wages are paid by the County Council rather than by the agency.
    I think your supply agency has misinformed you. Good luck x

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can serve induction time while employed via an agency as long as you are working in the same school and covering regular classes -planning-teaching-assessing. Many NQTs now begin their teaching careers in this way. You can work on supply contracts for a maximum 16 months from your first calandar day of supply- to carry on beyond that time you need the permission of the LA to continue working.

5. Only just seen this thread.
    I'm about to start my final term of induction through an agency. My previous two terms were at a different school and through a different agency, so it definitely can be done.
    As has been said efore, make sure your school registers you for induction.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If your first work in teaching is supply work BUT is also part of Induction, it does not set the 16 month supply limit 'ticking down'.
    The 16 month supply limit starts from the first day of qualified teaching that you do that is NOT part of Induction.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yep I was separating an induction post from supply to clarify that you can only work outside of an induction post for a limited period officially that is

8. Hello, I am an NQT in that same position too. I know this message is 3 years old :) but pixie_chick what agency were you with?
    The other NQT's what agencies were you with too?
    Thank you
    Mel

9. I started supply teaching in a school in January and the school asked me stay on till the end of the academic year- July 19. Once I knew that I was going to be there for two terms I made a request to do my induction. I have had my own full timetable from the start with my own classes. Two senior member from my department had just left and I was needed to be on a full timetable. Because of this the school has ignored my request for induction.
    For fear of loosing the job I have decided to carry on working for the school without the induction. Is there anything else I can do ?

10. Hi,
    It certainly isnt true that you can't start your NQT year through supply.
    For example if a school has a teacher off on long term sick, they can't advertise for the job because it would be unclear how long the contract would be for. Therefore supply can be the only viable option for the school as (unfortunately) they can pick you up and drop you quicker than you can say 'NQT!'
    Schools dont have to offer you induction though, I worked fullt time for a school from January to April (covering long term sick!) and the school refused to support induction.
    It depends how nice they are feeling :)