1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Complaints from lockdown

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by welshwales, Sep 21, 2020.

1. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Advice needed, please. Without going into too much identifiable detail, I have received a complaint from an extended family member about their perceived lack of support for a child in their family during lockdown. Child has some ASD traits, no EHCP- nothing anywhere near that level. School gave a good level of support, child was in school for the whole of the last half term and supported in an ELSA type way by pastoral worker too.
    My query is this. If extended family member brings parent with parental responsibility to subsequent meetings and 'talks for her' - is this appropriate? And secondly, I thought I'd read that formal complaints over schools in lockdown period were to be considered differently since schools were unable to operate 'as normal' -or have I dreamt this?
    Just after any thoughts really on how best to approach this...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Second things first...

From the start of the autumn term, DfE expects schools to respond to new and existing complaints. However, the DfE not expect schools to respond if a tier 4 local restriction is in place or school access is restricted due to localised cases of coronavirus (COVID-19). Schools should still, however, engage with parents and pupils where possible.

You must not limit complaints to parents or carers of children that are registered at the school. Anyone can make a complaint about any provision of facilities or services that a school provides, unless separate statutory procedures apply (such as exclusions or admissions). This includes:
    • parents or carers of children no longer at the school
    • members of the public
    However, you can state that you will not discuss an individual child with someone who does not have parental responsibility, for data protection reasons. The school's responsibility is to the child's parent or carer.

Parents are recognised differently under education law, than under family law. Section 576 of the Education Act 1996 states that a ‘parent’, in relation to a child or young person, includes any person who is not a parent (from which can be inferred ‘biological parent’) but who has parental responsibility, or who has care of the child.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Be in careful in tone - Respond back with your evidence of support... and query why no complaint was made about that support at the time so it could be address, at the time.

welshwales likes this.