1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Complaints against governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by carterkit, Dec 1, 2016.

1. carterkit

carterkit New commenter

Please can anyone help with this query?

A member of SLT has resigned from the school and made a complaint against the head teacher. Now it is being said that they intend to make complaints against certain governors who were involved in meetings at the school. These meetings happened some considerable time ago now.

Is there a timescale in which such complaints should be made?

Thank you in advance.

2. install

install Star commenter

See the school's Complaints Policy...

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

What @install says

DfE advice is "Expect complaints to be made as soon as possible after an incident arises (although three months is generally considered to be an acceptable time frame in which to lodge a complaint)"

Work-related complaints by staff often have to be brought under the school's staff grievance procedure and not under the complaints policy.

carterkit likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This is my experience

complaints of a one off incident have to be brought within a certain time frame ( which I think in my school is a year?)

complaints of an event which have a long term effect have to be brought in within a year of that effect ceasing.

complaints of a series of events and effects have to be brought in within a year of the last event, or the effect of the last event ceasing.

as Rott weiler said, this is a greivance procedure, not a complaints procedure

carterkit likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Unfortunately there is a time limited period for a Grievance too so I would still advise the Complaints Policy as a route to begin with.

If that time has run out also then see Union.

carterkit likes this.
  6. carterkit

carterkit New commenter

Thank you for your advice. It sounds as if it is too late for a grievance to be brought as these events happened nearly two years ago. The complaints policy mentions nothing about time scales other than those once a complaint is made. But I think you are right that it is in fact a grievance.

The problem was the the grievance was actually brought against the head. But when that wasn't upheld, the staff member apparently stated that two of the governors who had put hours into trying to help SLT prior to an Ofsted inspection were also at fault and they intended to pursue an official complaint against them. Both governors are really upset and nervous about this. They are very well-meaning people not from education backgrounds. But from what you say it sounds as if so long after the event any grievance could reasonably be turned down on the grounds that it should have been brought up at the same time as that against the head.

Thank you.

7. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou for the clarification @carterkit . Still see the Union though if you have not already.