1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Complaint against Sixth Form State College

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by send2archan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. send2archan

send2archan New commenter

Hi,

Has anyone filed a complaint against a sixth form state college? I am a trainee teacher and I am very disappointed with the level of training I have been provided. The college is doing this type of training for the first time and are not well informed about the SD process. I have been given very difficult classes and I am not being provided with a good learning environment which encourages me. All of sudden after several observations they are raising questions about my professional conduct and I don't know why. I have spoken to my mentor several times but every time I express something I am being told that I am not being open to feedbacks. This is making things very difficult for me. And the worst thing is that when I talk about my development needs, the mentor puts that in my observation sheet saying that I did not demonstrate this. If I fail, I want to raise this to higher authorities. I will raise this first with the college and then escalate this with other bodies. Can someone tell me where can I escalate?

2. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

You need to raise this now, informally first and then formally if necessary. If you wait until you are flunked, no one will listen. They'll all think it was sour grapes.

Write down exactly why you think they are not 'well informed about the SD process', with very specific evidence and examples. There will be a complaints procedure somewhere. Find it, read it and follow it. Try to deal with problems informally first, or you'll risk alienating yourself.

3. send2archan

send2archan New commenter

Thanks! Yes that's what I have done already. I have discussed informally and clearly explained why certain things were wrong. I have sighted examples several times saying that no one is in my shoes like I am handling 2 placements at the same time whereas other go on placement 1 to begin with and then on to placement 2. But I have to juggle with 2 schools, different people etc. Also I have always been given the first lesson in a class. There are some other examples too. I think I have done whats needed. By making it formal I think I might do more harm than good.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Talk to your union -NOW!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why are you doing two placements at the same time? Why didn't you raise this with your training provider before you started? How are you getting on at your other school?

You say you think you have done what is needed, but your mentor clearly disagrees. Unfortunately for you it is their opinion that counts. It isn't unusual to discuss with a trainee what they think they could have done better and use that as an area for development next time, especially if the trainee is sensitive to someone else pointing out weaknesses.