1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Competition level American maths teacher looking for advice

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bshailstone, Nov 16, 2019.

1. bshailstone

bshailstone New commenter

Hello math people,

Quick summary: I have a Master's and Bachelor's in Maths (undergrad at Carnegie Mellon). Qualified for the AIME three times. No education degree yet, but would like to get an online Masters in Education from Johns Hopkins in Gifted and Talented Education.
    Taught AoPS online and have taught competition math in person at 2 Art of Problem Solving campuses.

I'd like to get PGCSE or iPGCSE, but it is not in my budget at the moment.
    Have teaching certification from Washington, DC. Teaching at a charter school with one of the better PISA scores in the world.

Would love to teach at an independent school that participates in UKMT and similar math competitions.
    A UCL professor claimed that some independent schools might create a job for me given my background. Would need a Tier 2 Visa sponsor.
    Any suggestions on schools to contact, or agencies that understand competition math or AoPS?

I keep getting cyclic suggestions, other than to go directly to some independent schools. But which ones are strong in competitions, or would be a good match? The greater London area is preferred, but I am open to suitable suggestions.

Thanks,
    -Ben

2. IamGN

IamGN New commenter

Winchester Westminster St Pauls Boys Magdalen CS Hampton and I think Tonbridge all have special focus on Maths competition.

However, I think first and foremost they will want a teacher who can teach well and teach Maths to the general population of the school. I have a staff who participated in the IMO before but it was only a factor to swing the decision in his favour over other candidates not the main reason. All the schools I mentioned above probably have had someone like you already. My department has 3 who competed to at least national level and we are nowhere near those schools.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think that for a Tier 2 Visa, they have to be offering you a job that can't be filled by a "settled" worker. I don't think those schools are struggling to recruit, and your particular expertise would only be relevant to a handful of pupils, so I think a school would find it hard to argue that they need you. The UKMT provides external (volunteer) mentors to students working at a high level in competition maths, so even if a school has no teacher confident at that level, there are solutions.

4. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I don't know how it works, but would an American school in the UK be more likely to help? They might have more experience of contracting teachers from the US and might be able to justify it on the basis of your having experience of teaching the US curriculum.