1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Competition for jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ahaywar2, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone might know how much competition there is for overseas jobs. Am applying for Early Years jobs in America and Hong Kong and don't want to get my hopes up if the competition is ridiculously high! Thanks in advance.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I'm not involved in filling those empty places but a guy in the Indonesian British School in jaskarta said his school receive hundreds of emails each week from interested teachers. Now let us assume he means once his school have began advertising and considering Indonesia isn't at the top of most people's wish list, I'd say It is a pretty competitive field out there; it took me 30 appliactions/emails plus to land my present post and I've 8 years experience overseas.
    Consider location: Hong Kong to me would be one of the most sought after locations in the far east and whilst I'm quite surprised any UK based teacher has a sniff at a US job since we are hardly offering skills they cannot find locally, I'd suggest the US also ranked very high for many younger teachers.
    Consider ranking: what is the reputation of the school you are applying for. Some schools have set criterion for who they shortlist whilst others give the impression they'd hand out contracts to anyone they can convince should board a plane to their country.
    You: the other factor is what you offer and what your experience is. If you have 4 years plus of experience, have worked in a highly valued school, perhaps gaining management experience along the way, have some top referees who will vouch for you, or offer a shortage subject, then you will be more highly valued. I always look around the staffroom and rank myself alongside the other teachers in terms of knowledge, enthusiasm, teamwork, abilty and applied effort. I get a fair idea of how I sit relative to others in my field.
    Good luck.
    p.s. i think early years teachers for some reason are harder to find for overseas posts, so that is certainly in your favour.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Popular locations will attract hundreds of applicants. A decent school in Hong Kong will be amongst the popular category.
    Less popular places, such as Nigeria, will attract a handful at best.

4. Thanks for your replies. It's harder to judge competition when you can't visit the school. Hopefully the fact I'm looking for early years positions will work in my favour.