1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Competency

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kerrsa, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hatoff

Hatoff New commenter

Harsh- but- fair; admittedly I did not look at the date, as I always assume posts are current. It's Johnberyl who needs a quite word about resurrecting old threads!

2. drek

drek Lead commenter

agree with zadok....

fyi: regional reps in my area sat in on meetings between school managers and local education cosultants when this was hammered out in new policies 3 to 4 years ago... rolled out from 2012.....once staff were put on support plans based on similar cases to yours they could not really fight it at individual case level since legally it is policy.

In cases like this the law will look at policy and see if management have followed procedure for performance management which on the surface they all suddenly appear to be doing....'observing' your performance, providing hand picked staff to 'support' your improvement over the 'timescale' in the policy.

If you 'fail' to meet their interpretation of 'standards' they are by current policy within their rights.

The law is not interested in what happens if you scratch the surface....so long as it appears that policy is followed.

Therefore you need to set aside any 'feelings' about why they might be doing it and put any inadequacies about the so called support in writing in e-mail to both union and head teacher.

Anything that puzzles you....for e.g. if you are sent to observe a teacher and you find that the class consists of 10 students all playing games on the computer.....out of loyalty to this member of staff who is the school's AST you say nothing at the time....it will be too late later on to mention it as it will be considered sour grapes. Ask if management can provide snother exemplary example as you are keen to improve... (in writing)

Again if there is not enough challenge in your opinion...or you had to go to a group and support them because they were messing about whilst the teacher was helping another group....note it down and the time and name of students....email and ask what it was you were supposed to take from this lesson....and perhaps could you see yet another outstanding example....again note down incidents that fail to meet ofsted standards....and ask for help yet again.

This is real...it is happenning to a lot of experienced teachers....unions do not want to pay the legal fees so they will ask you do as you are told as humbly as possible.

Play it by ear....if the next observation is 'good'....then you will be observed a few more times to make sure it is a 'secure' good......if you get through that your job and pay scale is secure.

If it is not.....read the writing on the wall....and get out of that school.

3. why do any of us bother teaching anymore? all we get is misery, sleepless nights and complaints that we're not good enough...

I feel for you kerssa because I've been through something similar and I haven't came out the other end. good luck. I would agree to get your union to support you but don't expect them to be any good.

4. hostaolic

hostaolic New commenter

Great advice from from drek and Zadok. Keep a diary about everything and BCC to yourself. My advice for any teachers in this awful situation is to stop thinking of anybody else, except yourself. Go off on long term WRS, with careful planning/luck, you will be amazed at how much full time pay you can get. Even when it goes to half pay you take home 2/3 as deductions are so much less. Use friends etc to get work experience outside of education, much can be done at home, with no observation and risk to sick pay. Use online tutorials to update your skills on Xcel, PPT, Pub etc. This is an important part of your treatment to get better. Use this to build your confidence up and realise that if a job (notice word used, not career) in education is no longer for you you can work elsewhere.

If you are further down the line and resigned/SA etc it may be of interest to know that In the last 2 weeks I have seen at least 7 jobs advertised within a 15 mile radius in my subject. Much of this is rural, so I'm not talking inner city here. Many many teachers are getting out, these schools need to recruit in the 4/5 weeks left before summer hols if they are to operate in September. There are openings and it is always worth trying a new school before closing the door on education. Teaching Agencies are falling over backwards to recruit - is this an indicator that there are many staff off on long term WRS ? A neighbour who posted her CV on one job seeking site for TA work has had 8 teaching agencies ringing her wanting her to register. When she has cancelled appointments they constantly ring/email wanting to rearrange.

Another friend who is a HoD in a pleasant rural school complains that when advertising for a job they get 1/2 applicants and reminisces over a few years ago when they were 6-9. Hold on I can remember when there would be 20+. Sure indicator of the state of education. Mind you, if they used the same criteria they use for bankers, wouldn't we get HUGE pay rises based on this hard evidence ??? Mr Gove, Mr Cameron, Mr Osbourne take not....

Good luck

5. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

It is scary that we are approaching the end of the year and there are still at least 4000 jobs vacant in the UK (or there was the last time I checked which was two days ago). That is quite different from just two years ago where about this time there would only be 100 jobs if even that. This should tell us something. No one wants to bother with teaching. I don't anymore and happy to do supply until I finish my MA and PhD and move into lecturing. I don't even know if I want to do that here in the UK anymore as I'm afraid the universities may be going down the same route as the state schools.