1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compassionate leave and OFSTED

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by yf150, Apr 21, 2012.

1. My wife's uncle has died suddenly and we want to attend the funeral which will be held in Germany. I would need to take a maximum of two days off work to fly out and back, however we have OSTED due any day now. I wish to pay my respects and support my wife but I am worried that I will not be granted compassionate leave due to the imminent OFSTED inspection.
    Is compassionate leave at the discretion of the principle or do I have a right to compassionate leave? Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
    Thank you.

2. My wife's uncle has died suddenly and we want to attend the funeral which will be held in Germany. I would need to take a maximum of two days off work to fly out and back, however we have OSTED due any day now. I wish to pay my respects and support my wife but I am worried that I will not be granted compassionate leave due to the imminent OFSTED inspection.
    Is compassionate leave at the discretion of the principle or do I have a right to compassionate leave? Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
    Thank you.

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Compassionate leave is entirely discretionary, though your school/local authority may have a policy.
    Ofsted shouldn't make a difference (as they want to see the school in a normal light, which includes 'real life' events like this happening), though - in reality - it might.

4. You could apply for unpaid leave, as you would not get paid compassionate leve as this would probably only be for parents, siblings and offspring.
    Re OFSTED, you could be witing a long time, so that should not really be a huge factor - they are unannounced and could happen anytime.
    It may help if you suggest that you coulod put in preparations to ensure noone is overly disadvantaged by your absence, covering such a situation as OFSTED. e.g. all of your documentation, planning etc up to date.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You have no 'right' to compassionate leave, especially for a more distant relative such as a spouse's wife. I wouldn't expect you to be given two days off as paid leave for such a thing.

Ofsted has nothing to do with compassionate leave.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

OMG my spouses wife is ME? Would I not automatically be able to goto my own funeral??[​IMG]

7. Some schools may refuse if OFSTED or parents evening was happening![​IMG]

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I think you might even find it would be considered a disciplinary offence [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

ooooops sorry. Meant uncle! Obviously! Though I like the responses later...made me laugh.

Not sure how you would apply for leave for your own funeral ...definitely couldn't insist on being paid though.

10. I think some headteachers would simply wait three days to see whether you were just "a very naughty boy" or the Mesiah.

11. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

My late mum was a teacher, she died on a Saturday, and the school got the ofsted call on the Monday. She had been off for a while while she was ill, but it did send the school into a bit of a moment, as she had been at the school for nearly 20 years. Certain members of staff who my mum had known since they were babies (my best mate, namely) were asked if they would like to be 'excused' observations when the inspectors were in, and it was suggested that words would have been had with the inspectors so that she would not have been seen. She refused, but the sentiment was there.
    Ofsted has to see things as they happen.....staff having family issues as well as staff recently dying is all part of it.
    B x