1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Compass points lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by LisaLove82, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Can somebody please look at my ideas for a compass points lesson with Y4.
    Starter- children are human compasses- face N, E, S, W NE, SE, SW, NW etc.
    Then give instructions face north, now turn to face east. What direction have you turned? Establish they have turned a half turn. GIve harder ones NE to NW get children to say they have turned quarter turned anti clock. Then a volunteer to face one direction and move to another and children to write on white boards the direction and turn they have taken. Or pairs to give each other instructions e.g start at SW and half turn clockwise.
    Main activity- treasure hunt on paper- all children with a list of directions to find treasure
    Lower- 8 point compass-walk one square north and 2 south west.
    Mid- face north, turn one. quarter clockwise, walk forward 4 spaces. Turn half way anti clockwise and move forward one space.
    Higher- i will work with this group- same as above but looking at angles eg 45/90/180 degrees.
    plenary- give children two cooridinates on map on IWB and ask them to direct me from one to the otother.
    Does this sound like a good lesson?

2. Can somebody please look at my ideas for a compass points lesson with Y4.
    Starter- children are human compasses- face N, E, S, W NE, SE, SW, NW etc.
    Then give instructions face north, now turn to face east. What direction have you turned? Establish they have turned a half turn. GIve harder ones NE to NW get children to say they have turned quarter turned anti clock. Then a volunteer to face one direction and move to another and children to write on white boards the direction and turn they have taken. Or pairs to give each other instructions e.g start at SW and half turn clockwise.
    Main activity- treasure hunt on paper- all children with a list of directions to find treasure
    Lower- 8 point compass-walk one square north and 2 south west.
    Mid- face north, turn one. quarter clockwise, walk forward 4 spaces. Turn half way anti clockwise and move forward one space.
    Higher- i will work with this group- same as above but looking at angles eg 45/90/180 degrees.
    plenary- give children two cooridinates on map on IWB and ask them to direct me from one to the otother.
    Does this sound like a good lesson?

3. Sounds like a typical fabricated lesson to impress for an observation and something a teacher would not be able to do lesson in lesson out.
    Some points to consider if you insist on a circus show:
    (1) Are pupils happy with clockwise and anticlockwise + are they happy knowing what that means in terms of N/E/S/W?
    (2) Where will you stand whilst asking them to turn AC or CW? Is it north to you or them?
    (3) Your Plenary may fall foul of the criteria laid out as it will give some pupils a chance to demonstrate that they have been 'moved on' in the lesson rather than all (possible consideration)

4. I'll take that as a no then. Thanks Jeff.

smif27 likes this.
  5. Lisa
    I think Jeff's points are worth considering but he didn't need to be so rude!
    When you've decided where N will be, beware the smart Alec who tells you that north is actually over there miss!
    In asking for comments was there a particular thing you were worried about?...
    I hope it goes well

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

7. I just wanted to know if a more experienced teacher thought it sounded like a good lesson. I am completely worried about the whole thing and have got myself far too stressed with it.

8. I don't think it's a show-case sort of a lesson: these are the sort of activities I do all the time! However, there are a lot of concepts in there. Will you really be teaching compass points, direction, turn (half, quarter, etc), and degrees all in one lesson? That's a lot to ask of a Y4 class. I think I'd be tempted to stick to N,S,E,W for the main teaching input (and maybe introduce "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" but alongside asking them to come up with a new mnemonic, and then introduce NW, SW etc with your focus group.
    I also agree that, unless there are N,S,E and W signs up on the wall (like there are in my classroom all year round!) it's going to be difficult to manage in an unfamiliar room with unknown children.
    How about going outside with a real compass and some chalk... ?

9. coyote

coyote New commenter

Naughty Elephants Squirt Water
    Naughtier Elephants Screw Wombats [​IMG]