1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comparison of GCE Mathematics Specifications

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mehtamatics, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Can anyone suggest a source where GCE Maths specification from different boards are compared? I imagine it would be a useful resource for teachers and pupils moving between boards. My current interest is a comparison between Edexcel and AQA.

2. I don't understand your question.
    Do you mean 'which specification is the easiest?' Perhaps you mean 'how do they differ in content?.
    Why can't you just look at the specifications and judge for yourself?

3. I am not interested in knowing which board is easier; I am interested in the differences in their content - in their curriculum. Examples that I can think of, off the top of my head, concern Decision Theory 1 as offered by Edexcel and AQA. As I understand it, the Edexcel specification includes Critical Path Analysis while the AQA one does not. That is a sizeable block and so it is easy to spot the difference, but there are smaller differences as well. Within Sorting Algorithms, AQA includes Shuttle Sort which is not covered by Edexcel.

I work with pupils doing a range of boards so I need to know the fine details of the differences. I am aware that the specifications are published and are readily available on-line. However, the curriculum parts of these specifications typically run to 50-70 pages. I could compare specifications from different boards myself but, before I embarked on that task, I wanted to know if anyone else had already put in the hard graft. I would have thought that it would have been an immensely useful resource to schools when (if) they change boards, as well as to teachers or pupils who move from one school to another.

4. Do the commercial revision guides (Letts etc) still have this info?
    I had a Letts Maths AS/A2 Revision guide from about 7 or 8 years ago and it had a table with all the topics on one axis, a list of modules for each of the common boards on the other axis, and ticks to indicate which appeared in which module (and I think which page the relevant revision work appeared on).
    I know it doesn't give every tiny detail, but does at least help indicate the general topic areas in each module.
    Hope this helps
    Liz

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I don't have enough time to plan, teach and Mark so definitely wouldn't see the point in doing that type of comparison!

The easiest way I can think of is to buy the CGP complete Revision and practise books for AQA, Edexcel and OCR .

Or go onto the website and have a look at each of the books. The contents pages of each are readily available for you to have a look at online. This should make comparison quite easy.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You could look on mymaths. They list which examination boards include which topics at the side.
    You can also filter by examination board.