1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comparative Writing Judgements ?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sevans17, Oct 22, 2018.

1. sevans17

sevans17 New commenter

Hi!!

I am looking for some thoughts on using comparative writing judgement in the primary setting. I understand the premise of it and the amount of schools now using this as a way of assessing writing is undeniable but I am a little confused about HOW we deem one piece of writing to be better than another. Obviously for many pieces of writing this will be obvious but what if we compare 2 pieces of writing that are 'similar': one which has fantastic composition and grammatical agreement but appalling punctuation and one with outstanding punctuation and grammar but is boring and not particularly well written- which is better? Also- in the climate of TA against the frameworks at the end of key stage and using a portfolio of evidence rather than 1 cold piece of writing, how have schools integrated the comparative judgement model into their school assessment schedule and especially into Y2 and 6 without increasing workload?

Thanks for reading if you got this far!!!
    S

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One assumes you are currently writing a dissertation on this. :rolleyes:

3. sevans17

sevans17 New commenter

No- just trying to see how other schools have used this as our MAT is keen for us to and other schools locally are. We currently have a system for moderating writing which we are confident and happy with so seeing how we might adapt to use this too