1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comparative Shakespeare, Macbeth, maybe?

Discussion in 'English' started by ThinkingGirl, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, hope Summer is good. In September our Y11's come back to Shakespeare AQA GCSE (Unit 3). Any advice about how the comparison works best? Poetry or short stories? Has anyone found the conflict task better than the hero one? Thinking over Macbeth and WW1 poems...any other offers on that cheery note?! How many poems/stories are needed for study and then the CA? Anyone had a brill idea for any other texts that link? Thanks! TG.

2. Hi all, hope Summer is good. In September our Y11's come back to Shakespeare AQA GCSE (Unit 3). Any advice about how the comparison works best? Poetry or short stories? Has anyone found the conflict task better than the hero one? Thinking over Macbeth and WW1 poems...any other offers on that cheery note?! How many poems/stories are needed for study and then the CA? Anyone had a brill idea for any other texts that link? Thanks! TG.

3. hi there
    i'm doing macbeth and romeo and juliet - conflict
    macbeth and lady macbeth, juliet and her father - conflict - power struggles/ inner conflict and so on
    r&j because they did it in yr7 and 9 and so they will not need exhaustive teaching on it - macbeth from scratch tho
    looking forward to it! think it will be a good one (i say in hope!)
    my area advisor told me 15 poems for a set but obv only write about 2or3 - not sure how many schools will stick to that but hey ho
    :eek:)

4. Thanks all! Some fab points to ponder over. I did notice the proviso that the comparison poems/prose must not be from any other collection on any other unit. I guess that means I'd have to find alternative 'conflict' poems if I went down that route other than in the spec? more confusingly, the CA task bank says 'the text studied for reading CA in English may be one of the same texts for Literature'? As ours was either Mice and Men or Crucible it seems odd as they don't fit English heritage criteria and their names are definitely not on the list! So we could have used the poetry Lit texts for Language last year (3a) but had we have done, not Lang back to Lit as the advice seems to suggest? Curioser and curioser...
    Who'd have thought two lots of Shakespeare would ever have looked like the right solution to any lesson?!

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You could do the conflict poems in the anthology if you used another cluster for the Lit exam. Personally, I'd rather do a novel for the Extended Reading rather than more poetry. Also, we try to use a range of texts to prepare students for A' Level but have used the Lit novel (for 3a) for less able.