1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Comparative outcomes

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Dec 8, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was reading this: https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-heads-and-teachers-are-stuck-a-zero-sum-game

And was quite taken aback by this :

Comparative outcomes is the name given to a system designed to address the problem of year-on-year grade inflation of GCSE and A-level results. Its effects are not as widely known as they should be. Essentially, it means that the levels a pupil cohort achieves nationally at key stage 2 in any one year will determine the grades available to that same pupil cohort five years later at GCSE.

The result of comparative outcomes for secondary schools is a zero-sum game. If one secondary school manages to develop more effective classroom strategies that raise pupil performance, another school’s GCSE results must drop, even if there has been no decline in the standards achieved by that school

Now feel free to call me naive or stupid or a purple dinosaur, whatever takes your fancy, but this for real? How have I got through 10 years in this job and not known this! So if one school has a big rise in results then another school suffers?

Am I reading this right? Am I wrong?

Am i wrong to feel very angry right now?

petenewton likes this.
  2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Those widget experts (educationalists) have been at it again ...

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

It's a bit like this government inability to understand the concept of 'average' or anything to do with statistical trends - not that I am any kind of expert on statistics. In my previous school they would get the Y7 to do an online test (similar to CATs) and use this evidence to set baseline levels and if OFSTED came in, argue that this referencing was more reliable that a level 4/5 at KS2.

petenewton likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Mine did similar @applecrumblebumble [great name btw]

Seemed like a big data game being played.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sadly, I am not surprised. You have forgotten Lanokia, that the system needs scapegoats. If there weren't some failing schools we'd all relax and SLTs might have to be nice.

lanokia likes this.
  7. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Which is why myself and other year 6 teachers are preparing children for new tests, from which there will be an arbitrary score contrived from the results by multiplying them by a magic number - which won't be revealed until after all the data has been collected and fiddled to say what they want it to say. The whole system is a mockery of fairness and transparency and will inevitable lead to many teachers feeling like **** as they're told the blind system they're trying to work to is now responsible for their pay next year and they should have known how it works.

I'm afraid anger doesn't come close to expressing how I feel about the way education is run by the tw@ts in government.

chelsea2 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sadly I am very aware of the educational scapegoats education demands be sacrificed.

9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

It's a ghastly reality, sadly. The percentages for each grade are going to be fixed, so the top 2 or 3% of the countrywide cohort will be awarded 9, then the next 5% grade 8 and so on. Effectively the government has fixed it so that almost half of all students will 'fail' and have to resit in English and/or Maths because they won't reach grade 5. What makes it worse is that a child in one year group might get 70% in the exam and be awarded grade 9 because the KS2 scores indicate that this is a brilliant mark, and the subsequent year might get 94% and only get grade 6. Pretty awful.